Our compute virtualization and storage infrastructure provides critical services to both internal and external customers. You'll oversee lifecycle aspects of multiple service environments, acting as the owner for those systems (which number in the thousands). You'll also understand and manage the interrelationships between the various products and the infrastructure systems. We take pride in our well-organized, well-documented, stable, and compliant infrastructure environments, and you'll get to play a key role.
* Maintaining capacity and availability for multiple service environments. * Ensuring our compliance with all applicable regulations. * Managing security/access control and licensing and overseeing vendors. * Delegating work to senior and junior compute virtualization engineers and storage engineers.
The Principal Network Architect is the trusted advisor to Verizon managed services customers, and is responsible for positive business outcomes by ensuring the effective operation of the client network through lifecycle and architectural development. The Principal Network Architect performs strategic planning and design, optimization, and steady state change management on a variety of network technologies that may include routed/switched networks, data center infrastructure, wireless, or other network technologies for large enterprise customers. The position serves as the primary engineering interface to the customer and supports the design and implementation of customer's enterprise network projects and comprises the following activities:
* Work with customer technical teams to provide solutions for customers' internetworking communications requirements * Investigate, design, plan, and implement physical and logical communications networks * Manage network projects through all stages, including: * Defining/gathering requirements * Drafting/ presenting technical proposals * Weighing risks and rewards against value and costs * Deployment and maintenance of solutions.
* Develop all related documentation, test cases and execution plans. * Prepare work orders containing instructions to be used by technicians to configure network hardware and software * Understand and effectively communicate the impact of technical decisions on the business * Prepare technical reports, client presentations, design documentation, and manuals. * Monitors, analyzes, troubleshoots, and evaluates network related problems. * Manages the performance and optimization of networks and systems.
Requires regular on-site customer facing engagements and work arrangements.
What we're looking for...
You have the ability to successfully organize and direct the execution of major projects. You've got exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills, and you're a whiz when it comes to managing and planning operational budgets. You take real pride of ownership in the infrastructure environments you run.
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience. * Six or more years of relevant work experience. * Experience with converged/integrated compute infrastructure systems, including requisite network knowledge. Specifically, Cisco UCS.
Even better if you have:
* Bachelor's degree in information systems or engineering. * Demonstrated capability to successfully create and manage programs for infrastructure lifecycle processes such as capacity, availability, configuration management, and access management. * Thorough understanding of interdependencies and protocols across compute, network, and storage technologies. * Experience with compute virtualization systems. Ideally, VMware or vSphere. * Experience managing an environment(s) with thousands of hypervisor instances running on compute blade systems and hundreds of enterprise class storage arrays. * Experience with enterprise class storage systems, storage networks, storage management systems, and replication technology with products from NetApp, EMC, HP 3Par, Cisco, or Brocade. * Knowledge and experience with ITIL including practical application of ITIL processes. Ideally, with ITIL v3 Foundation Level certification or higher. * Experience with OpenStack based cloud computing infrastructures.
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience. * Six or more years of relevant work experience. * Experience configuring and troubleshooting network devices from manufacturers such as Cisco, Arista, Cumulus and Mellanox among others.
Even better if you have:
* A Master's degree. * Current Cisco CCNP certification, CCIE highly desirable * Experience with data center routing and switching products * Willingness to work from client site up to 50% of the time. * Strong interpersonal communication skills to accurately represent and convey information both in verbal and written form. * Strong analytical and logical problem solving skills with the ability to drive solutions to IT operational issues. * Ability to host and facilitate meetings attended by client peers and managers. * Ability to multi-task and be aware of several simultaneous work streams. * Ability to strategically influence and lead change within the client's IT organization. * Experience as a team lead directing work of peers even in other organizations.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.