What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
Are you the type of person who likes to make things go fast? Do you have an insatiable curiosity about how hardware and software architectures combine to make workloads fast (or slow)? Do you like to roll up your sleeves and make things happen? If so, we have a job for you.
The AMD Server Power and Performance Optimization team is looking for a hands-on architect to optimize the performance of important server workloads/benchmarks throughout the life of our server platforms. When new silicon shows up, you will be trying to understand the performance of the silicon as well as the platform. You will need to understand pre-silicon projections and how the map to reality. When the parts become generally available, you will be the expert who helps our customers (major OEMs, mega datacenters etc) make their workloads run faster. Finally, you will analyze the competition and identify comparative strengths and weaknesses.
Candidate must have strong software chops including a strong understanding of how operating systems and hypervisors impact the performance of different workloads. Strong communications skills are required as this person will work with hardware and software architects across the company to identify potential improvements, characterize behavior and drive improvements wherever they lie. Potential improvements could be in (but not limited to) platform configurations, operating systems, hypervisors, compilers, BIOS, firmware or processor architecture. Candidate must be capable of studying and understanding complex workloads.
* Strong software engineering background ranging from application level to BIOS
* Must be able to understand detailed SoC architecture including various widgets, components and algorithms
* Strong understanding of the impact operating systems and hypervisors have on performance including various operating system / hypervisor dials that impact performance
* Deep understanding of virtualization including virtualized I/O, translation look aside buffers, page tables and various address translation mechanisms
* Strong communications skills. Able to summarize complex problems for executives as well as drill down to details with architects and engineers
* Strong analytic skills including the ability to analyze current behavior, identify potential areas for improvement and design / execute experiments with the overall goal being to optimize the performance of the workload
* Comfortable setting up servers, changing hardware and installing server SW
* Must be a self-starter and self-motivated.
* Experience with system and software performance debug tools
* Strong systems level debug including networking, storage, compute, clusters etc
* Experience developing and optimizing software for various silicon architectures.
* Prior experience optimizing workloads across multiple hypervisors
* Prior experience with memory management units
* Prior experience designing micro-architecture experiments to measure power and performance
Requisition Number: 72405
Country: United States State: Texas City: Austin
Job Function: Software Engineering
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.