As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
The PHS Payroll department is responsible for the administration of Payroll System Improvements that apply to all Partners entities and for delivering requested data to our customers.
The incumbent brings experience and ability to the administration of the above policies and to other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Payroll.
The position requires a background in the subject areas, the maturity to work independently, and the abilities to organize and execute efforts that extend the reach and effectiveness of the policies. The ability to communicate well and to manage and execute communications efforts is of particular importance.
The position challenges the incumbent to balance oversight of day-to-day activities with planning efforts. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for certain administrative tasks as assigned by the Director; accuracy and timely response in the fulfillment of these tasks are expected.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Payroll and Systems Management Responsibilities:
* Oversee the support of payroll special projects to align with corporate objectives, and system enhancements/upgrades.
* Manage the analysis of the impact of special payroll projects on production and job schedules.
* Oversee the coordination of required changes with internal and external stakeholders (i.e. prioritization of automated jobs, file dependencies etc.) as requested.
* Own the payroll policies and procedures documentation to ensure and manage accuracy.
* Review all updates to payroll related business process documentation, payroll standard operating procedures (SOPs), and any additional process documents created to ensure timely payroll processing.
* Provide technical advice and training to help develop requisite skills of the payroll staff and end users.
* Create and present complex ad-hoc data analyses and reports such as, identify errors, deficiencies, areas of risk/non-compliance. Also, execute any process improvement or corrective measures.
* Serve as a point of escalation for matters related to accounting.
Payroll System and Vendor Management Responsibilities:
* Manage payroll system enhancements and upgrades that includes; subject matter expertise, coordinate schedule, define test strategy and implementation timeline, and project management to completion
* Manage the assessment, planning, testing and reporting of internal controls to ensure accuracy of payroll processing and compliance with established policies and procedures.
* Oversee investigation of vendor related issues and communicate to vendor the associated corrective action, ensuring timely solution and escalation as required.
* Oversee the design, maintenance, and management of the functional aspects of payroll data interfaces.
* Bachelor's degree and minimum 8 years of relevant Payroll experience, including at least 5 years of experience managing payroll for 10,000 employees is required. Additional Corporate Payroll experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
* Proficiency with payroll processing systems such as PeopleSoft or ADP is required.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite - Excel, Word, PowerPoint is required.
* Project management skills and experience with proven ability to lead / manage multiple projects / work streams simultaneously.
* Organized and detailed oriented.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Human Resources preferred.
* CPP certification is highly desired.
Process ownership - "Owns" the responsibility for assigned areas. Proposes alternatives when problems arise. Incumbent ensures that deadlines are met, and is accessible to staff, customers and auditors. Incumbent also fulfills commitments with minimal supervision.
Technical skills - Adept at accounting and financial calculations. Incumbent understands payroll taxes and payroll accounting (taxes and report requirements).
Financial systems skills - Incumbent understands how a payroll system produces a payroll as well as software systems that track visa holders and qualify candidates for tax exemptions.
Accounting skills - Familiarity with general ledger, A/P, tax preparation, internal audits, budget analysis, and preparation of financial statements a plus.
Project coordination experience.-Incumbent can take a project through development, execution and follow-up.
PC skills - Fluent in word processing, e-mail, spreadsheet, database and other applications. PeopleSoft and Oracle experience is required.
Analytical skills- Excellent analytical skills, ability to solve production problems in a quick responsible manner, ability to advise of potential problems prior to live production.
Time management skills - Budgets time appropriately and has excellent organizational skills.
Communications skills - Mature skills, "role model" level with all audiences and a team player.
Excellent relationship management skills.
About Partners Healthcare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.