We are looking for a junior data scientist to join the Data Science & Analytics team for The Wall Street Journal's Membership group. In this role, you will focus on creating tools for data-led decision making. This will involve creating interactive visualizations that provide timely insights on how we can improve our products and grow our subscription business. You will also develop metrics for quantifying improvements to key product features-including our conversion flow, on-boarding journey, and recommendation systems.
This role will require robust data wrangling skills and excellent communication-as well as an obsession with great news products. Some background in machine learning applications, big data architecture, and product analytics is a plus.
What you'll do:
* Build and maintain Tableau dashboard visualizing the subscription ecosystem for WSJ and Barron's.
* Source, query, and clean data required for larger scale data science projects.
* Manage and prioritize requests for analytics support across WSJ's membership group.
* Experiment with using techniques like machine learning and natural language generation (NLG) to power automation of labor-intensive data work (i.e. forecasting, media buying, providing commentary on trends).
* You have experience using analytics tools (SQL, Tableau, Excel) and an interest in more advanced topics in analytics (artificial intelligence, data engineering).
* You have worked with visualization and machine learning libraries in either R or Python.
* You have a bachelor's degree in information systems, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or a related quantitative discipline. Applicants with some data-related expertise and a professional background in media are also encouraged to apply.
* 1-2 years professional experience at a media company is preferred. An enthusiasm for The Wall Street Journal and an understanding of the product is a must.
* You have an entrepreneurial attitude toward work and sweat the details, as well as a healthy skepticism of the status quo.
* Experience working in cross-functional teams and interacting with stakeholders is a plus.
* Knowledge of required processes for a successful implementation of all project life cycle stages from requirements gathering through implementation and enhancements.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: WSJ MEMBERSHIP GROUP
Job Category: Data/Content Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 17081
About Dow Jones
Dow Jones is a news and business information provider that delivers content to consumers and organizations via newspapers and more.