Server and Application Team Lead
Blackstone is one of the world's leading investment firms. We seek to create positive economic impact and long-term value for our investors, the companies we invest in, and the communities in which we work. We do this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Our asset management businesses, with over $385 billion in assets under management, include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis. Further information is available at www.blackstone.com. Follow Blackstone on Twitter @Blackstone.
Business Unit: Innovations
Business Unit Overview:
Blackstone Innovations (BXi) is the technology team at the core of each of Blackstone's businesses and new growth initiatives. Serving both internal and external clients, we work to build the next generation of systems that manage risk, create efficiency and improve transparency within the firm and across our broad community of investors and portfolio companies.
BXi is nimble and entrepreneurial - our open, iterative design processes and rapid pace of development mean that everyone on the team has the opportunity to make an impact from day one. We are problem solvers who can take projects from idea to implementation. We believe in active mentoring and developing excellence. We collaborate to find the best answers for our customers and for Blackstone. We are critical to the firm maintaining its competitive edge.
Server and Application Team Lead
As a member of the Innovations & Infrastructure team at Blackstone, you will work with a group of talented individuals in a highly team-oriented environment to create the next generation of innovative solutions for Blackstone and the financial community at large.
Our application support team is looking to break the mold and reinvent the way infrastructure is handled in a traditional Windows environment. You should be the type of person that never wants to do the same thing by hand more than once, and adept at thinking outside of the box to push forward inventive and scalable solutions - what may work for a handful of servers may not scale well across a thousand servers. As the leader of this team, you will be taking an owner's share of our automation infrastructure through full-stack development via Powershell, SQL Server, and C# MVC. As an owner, you will be responsible for working with the team to flush out business requirements, technical design, implementation, testing, release and support. Success on our team is measured through delivering scalable and robust automation solutions through thoughtful design and code. Additional responsibilities will include working on ad-hoc troubleshooting, break/fix work and participation in an on-call rotation.
* Act as an escalation point for critical issues in the environment
* Resolve ad-hoc requests from users
* Automation of solutions through user empowerment
* Challenge and vet requests to ensure compliance with our best practices
* Support mission critical applications (in-house .NET and 3rd party vendor)
* Outage/performance degradation resolutions
* Proactively identify issues and resolve them before users are impacted
* Participate in the change advisory board (risk mitigation/implementation advisement) and implement change requests
* Assist in production releases
* Contribute to firm-wide automation framework development
* Puppet, PagerDuty (or equivalent), etc.
* Advise business groups to ensure best practices are met when releasing new applications
* Ensure availability and disaster recovery requirements are met
* Educate the team on how to properly support the application
* Grow yourself and the team by sharing new ways of doing things and challenging the status quo
* Constantly improve yourself by furthering and sharing your knowledge
* Continually challenge existing processes/workflows to streamline user experience
* Additional responsibilities include
* Performance and capacity planning for servers and storage
* Participate in an on-call rotation
* Microsoft - C# 4.0+, .NET 4.5+, SQL Server 2012+, Windows 2008R2+, Powershell
* Open Source - Ubuntu 14.04, Redis, RabbitMQ, SOLR, Python
* Other - ActiveBatch, DataDog, TeamCity, Git
* A passion for simplifying and leaning out complex processes
* Strong desire to take ownership in helping to grow a great team and organization
* Self-starting, entrepreneurial attitude to continually improve existing applications as well a drive to create new ones
* Passion for learning and teaching colleagues the ways of automation through PowerShell
* Experience with asynchronous and concurrent processing is required
* Proven track record supporting full-stack mission critical applications (in-house and 3rd party vendors)
* Best practice/performance recommendations (IIS/SQL), incident management, outage resolution
* Technical Engineer in the world of servers and storage
* SANs and Cisco UCS including related fabrics/networking
* Implementing, managing and troubleshooting Windows and VMWare Systems
* Comfortable administering a clustered SQL environment
* Work in a team oriented, source controlled, and continuous integration environment - we use Git and TeamCity for our deployments
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other category protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete your application, please contact Human Resources at 212-583-5000.
The Blackstone Group and its affiliates ("Blackstone") provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital or partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic predisposition, veteran or military status, status as a victim of domestic violence, a sex offense or stalking, or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
About Blackstone Group
Blackstone Group operates as multinational private equity, alternative asset management and financial services firm.