What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of Airbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb, fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we'll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What does it mean to be a Payments Engineer working on Performance and Observability at Airbnb?
Payments is one of the most critical systems that powers the Airbnb marketplace for all business. Ensuring this system is performant and healthy is critical for continued growth for all verticals. Our team is new with a big mission ahead of us, since we're driving initiatives in both Payments and across all the company businesses. Our mission aims to ensure our systems are performant and observable, and establish the best practices to promote a high level of engineering excellence.
The work we face will be technically challenging, interesting, and diverse: We will be creating caching layers, building new internal tools, performing tuning on our deeper systems, and updating or creating new customer experiences to drive our mission forward. You can expect a lot of collaboration with both functional partners like Product and Data Science, as well as working closely with other Payments engineers and Business engineers to drive our company goals. You will be working on key company initiatives. Our team offers a lot of challenges and broad scope for those who are interested in leadership opportunities and room for growth.
* You will be heavily involved in improving the performance of our checkout flows for all businesses, including creating new paradigms at the API interface to creating new experiences.
* You will be building out tools to better understand the latency and availability of key Payments services and their downstream dependencies.
* You will create new standards, best practices and tools to push to the entire Payments Engineering organization to ensure we're bringing technical excellence to how we operate.
* And many more… Our team is engineering focused and also strongly promotes ideas from engineers to help define our roadmap. You will have a seat and voice at the table.
* 5+ years of industry experience building or tuning large-scale backend systems
* Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high performance production quality code. Experience in Java, Ruby, and other equivalent languages is a plus.
* Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in Product and other engineers in various businesses throughout Airbnb
* Deep SQL expertise and experience with large distributed database design
* Experience in building and running large scale distributed online services
* Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
* Bonus: React/Redux experience
* Bonus: Experience with financial, commerce or payments systems
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter subsidies
* Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
* Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Airbnb is a company which provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.