What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
The Field Applications Engineer (FAE) in this position will help AMD drive a new era of computing for server datacenter and commercial client PCs, by engaging with the end customers to demonstrate how AMD technology can be used to address the needs of their business. The FAE is responsible for providing technical support for the targeted end customer accounts with a special focus on pre-sales and development support activity as opportunities transition from opportunity to deployment. Post-sales technical support is also required as the account encounters technical issues. This candidate will be accountable to the North America leader for the Customer Field Support organization, as well as the North America regional business leader. The FAE is also responsible for engaging the commercial client ecosystem but partnering with the regional OEM leads, as well as OEM/hardware/software partners as needed. Most be proficient in managing, optimizing, and troubleshooting common commercial client applications and workloads on AMD hardware with priority end customers.
The primary focus of the Field Applications Engineer will be to:
* Tuning and optimizing datacenter workloads with end customers based on AMD EPYC technology
* Develop technical relationships with target end customer accounts and OEM partners, focused in large corporate enterprise and public sector
* Win new datacenter and commercial client opportunities by working with OEMs and end customers by establishing technical solutions based on AMD technology
* Work with AMD internal teams across AMD Business Units to build technical presentations and documentation to be delivered in the field
* Improve AMD's ability to support customers by driving feedback into AMD BU and engineering teams
This position requires the SA to have a broad technical understanding of server CPUs and GPUs, platform architecture and the development process needed to successfully win server opportunities with end customers. The position may require specialized knowledge of server and software environments including Operating systems (Windows, Linux), compilers, drivers, benchmarks, and targeted applications that may be used to validate server and workstation platforms for the following target markets:
* Cloud and datacenter computing
* Data management and analytics (Spark, Oracle, SAP)
* High Performance Computing (HPL, SPEC, STREAM, OpenMP/MPI)
* Software Defined Storage (IOMeter, IOZone, HDFS, CEPH)
* Virtualized Desktop Interface (VDI)
* Computer Aided Design (CAD)
* Oil & Gas
* Media & Entertainment
* Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence
The SA in this role will:
* Provide technical assistance to sales personnel and the end customer in the evaluation, design and development of AMD based server solutions
* Partner with sales in determining possible application of AMD based products and solutions to meet customer requirements
* Perform technical presentations, training and updates for OEM, partners and prospects
* Translate customer business issues and requirements into technical solution opportunities/engagements that best leverage AMD based product offerings
* Possess a solid understanding of the competitive landscape and clearly articulate the technical differentiation and value proposition associated with AMD versus its competitors
* Assist with the solution development/architectural design to meet specific customer needs
* Analyze OEM product solutions and evaluate product performance based on customer needs
* Keep up-to-date on relevant competitive solutions and work with internal teams to provide competitive responses where needed
* Articulate AMD based technology offerings across multiple verticals
* Partner with other AMD and vendor subject matter experts to build specific customer solutions
* Install and test solutions in-house, as required, to ensure successful deployments and evaluations
* Lead technical design sessions; architect and document technical solutions that are aligned with OEM objectives
* Manage technical scopes, requirements and OEM expectations
* Provide hands-on, expert-level technical assistance to end customer development and software teams
* Design and manage the execution of evaluation plans to ensure a quality solution is delivered
* Be a credible subject matter expert to end customer on direct and indirect product capabilities.
* Other related duties as assigned
* The preferred candidate should have a combination of relevant academic and professional experience. The minimum qualifications associated with this position are BS with 10+ years of experience, or advanced degree with 10+ years of experience. Degree should be technology related bachelor's degree or other technical discipline (e.g. Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires knowledge in one or more of the following areas: CPU and server system architecture, server benchmarks, GPU computing, and server platform enablement. At least 5 years of system architecture and/or platform development experience
* Must demonstrate excellent problem solving skills and the ability to manage complex problems involving multi-disciplined, cross-functional teams
* Must demonstrate firm understanding of platform development process from concept to production
* Must be well versed in server software ecosystem in one or more areas including OS/Hypervisors, Compilers, Libraries, debug tools, development tools, server SW applications, and validation workloads
* Good hands on and working knowledge of server hardware ecosystem at the node, rack and datacenter level
* Hands on experience in the setup and configuration of server systems including software, networking and storage infrastructure
* Experience with virtualization technology and one or more hypervisor solutions
* Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows based server operating systems is required
* Physical requirement: must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. (racking hardware)
* This position requires an individual with excellent organizational and communication skills with a good balance of hardware, architecture and software expertise. The successful candidate must demonstrate both the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. They must also demonstrate good time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities. Strong internal (Sales, Marketing, Engineering) and external (OEM) relationships are required and the candidate must demonstrate a history of success in developing and maintaining technical relationships.
* Must be a team player with excellent collaborative skills and superior written and oral communication skills
Requisition Number: 73617
Country: United States State: Illinois City: Itasca
Job Function: Field Application Engineering/ Field Support (S&M)
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.