Akamai's Luna Engineering is looking for a talented and driven Database Administration Manager to lead a team of Oracle Database Administrators (DBA). This position requires a mix of leadership and people management skills, along with hands-on, technical support work, as well as database engineering and design expertise. A successful candidate will have leadership experience in being a Manager or Lead of a DBA team that started moving into DevOps area, while remaining active as a hands-on Oracle Database Administrator, handling common DBA operational tasks on an everyday basis.
The DBA Manager will coordinate and lead geo-distributed DBA team (US and EU), as well as measure, manage and report on team workload and project progress to the management. He or she will also define and implement operational procedures for Oracle databases on-prem and in the cloud as well as support, configure, tune, and troubleshoot multi-node database systems to achieve optimal application performance, stability and availability (99.99). The DBA Manager will work closely with the database and application architects, cloud engineers, development and QA teams, operations team, and information security team and provide people management and technical leadership for 24/7/365 and geo-distributed DBA team.
As a DBA Manager you will:
* Coordinate and lead geo-distributed DBA team
* Work closely with Luna Portal Operations management to define priorities, direction and
timelines for the Oracle Database administration area.
* Communicate clearly and honestly with stakeholders about progress, roadblocks, and timelines.
* Provide Oracle expertise with performing database operations with minimum (or zero)
* Define and implement Oracle DB operational procedures
* Support day-to-day operations with large scale, highly available, reliable, high performing
transactional (OLTP) databases, hosted in multiple data-centers
* Participate in the on-call rotation of the DBA team
* Be liaison for database related problems between operations, architecture, development and
* Participate in architecture and incident review boards
* Automate routine database operations using scripting or cloud automation tools, and foster
innovation in the team to improve operational excellence in Oracle database management
* Recruit, mentor, and lead a team of talented Database administrators. Mentor junior DBAs
* Inspire engineers to work hard, lead by example and keep enthusiasm high in tight-deadline
* Handle day-to-day management tasks for your DBA team, such as performance reviews, time
off, HR Coordination.
About the Team
Luna is the public face of Akamai to our customers, and the control-plane into the Akamai network comprised of hundreds of thousands of servers across the world. It provides customers the means to configure rules for content delivery, to publish content, monitor and analyze performance, diagnose and resolve problems, schedule capacity for special events, and access billing information, among other things. The Luna team is in the midst of a massive re-architecture of our "Platform as a Service" (PaaS), which enables these capabilities.
Required Education and Experience:
* 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor's degree in computer science or its equivalent
* 6 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree in computer science or its equivalent
* 3 years of relevant experience and a PhD in computer science or its equivalent
* 5+ years' experience leading teams of Oracle database administrators
* 8+ years' Oracle experience, with expertise on how to support highly available transactional systems (4-9s), and advanced knowledge of Oracle troubleshooting and performance tuning for PL/SQL and the database itself.
* 8+ years' as Oracle DBA with routine automation experience
* 8+ years' outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including experience working
with culturally diverse and geographically distributed teams. Must be able to communicate
effectively with Program Management, InfoSec, Engineering, QA, and Operations personnel.
* A degree in engineering or business management
* An understanding of cloud database solutions (e.g. AWS, Oracle Cloud, MS Azure), and
experience supporting database solutions in the Cloud
* Hands-on experience with Oracle tools: Cloud Control/OEM, ASM, RMAN
* Implementation and support experience for Oracle DB options: Compression, TDE, Multi-tenant,
* Configuration and support experience with HA/DR solutions - Oracle Active Data Guard, RAC
* Implementation and support experience for data replication (Oracle GoldenGate)
* Exposure to scripting languages (shell + SQL/PLSQL) used to automate administrative tasks
* Oracle Certified Professional certification highly desired
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.