We are currently seeking contributors to leverage the latest RDBMS and Big data technologies to instrument, ingest, store, process, and analyze the torrent of data our operational systems produce.
We have a mix of traditional RDBMS and MPP databases and are looking for someone who knows how to organize data (curate) in a human understandable way, understands how to select the correct tool for the job, and is excited to learn new things.
The Data Engineer will work as part of a Data Warehouse team and will report to the Data Warehouse Architect. Primary responsibilities include curating data processes that populate databases as well as troubleshooting, monitoring and coordinating defect resolution related to ETL processing.
Collaborating with the architect, analysts, data scientists, and developers, the Data Engineer will resolve complex data design issues/provide optimal solutions that meet business requirements and benefits system performance.
* Design and build automated analytic processes including testing, identifying bottlenecks, and data quality issues
* Provide operational support for the data warehousing applications, including quarantine maintenance, troubleshooting, monitoring and resolving bugs and production issues in a timely manner
* Develop, manage and maintain data dictionaries, metadata, and process flow documentation
* Work with business data stewards to research and identify data quality issues
* Using data quality tools to profile source data, define and validate metadata, and verify staged data
* Implement slowly changing dimensions as well as transaction, accumulating snapshot, and periodic snapshot fact
* 2 - 5 years' experience working with data warehouses/marts/stores/feeds
* 2 - 5 years' experience query mining/reporting for business analytics
* 2 - 5 years' experience designing and developing extract, transform and load (ETL) processes
* 2 - 5 years' experience in SQL development on RDBMS (Postgres preferred)
* BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics or related field
* Experience with data modeling/data workflow diagrams (conceptual, logical and physical)
* Extensive experience in ETL and DB performance tuning
* Hands on experience with any scripting language (Python, Ruby, BASH, etc)
* Experience in the telecommunications industry or knowledge of subscription based services
* Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Impala, or other big data technologies
Our Carlsbad, CA office is just 30 minutes north of San Diego and 5 minutes from the beach. We know there is more to life than work, and with full gym access, volleyball/basketball courts and meal services onsite, you'll never want to leave our beautiful campus. You can also reach out to help others in the community by being involved in our VPartners program.
We are searching for candidates who enjoy working with people and have a technical mind that excels when being challenged. If you have a drive to succeed and grow your career, ViaSat might be a fit for you!
BA/BS or equivalent experience
Years of experience:
Up to 10%
Viasat provides broadband and communications products and services.