The Data Engineer is responsible for the maintenance, improvement, and movement of data in the Enterprise Data Warehouse, Operational and Analytics databases. The Data Engineer works with the software engineers, other data engineers, data analysts, and data scientists in order to understand and aid in the implementation of database requirements, performance tuning, and resolving issues.
The Data Engineer must be an expert in SQL development providing support to the Data and Analytics team in database design, data flow and analysis activities. The position of the Data Engineer also plays a key role in the development and deployment of innovative big data platforms for advanced analytics and data processing.
The Data Engineer defines and builds the data pipelines that will enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the business.
The Data Engineer must have a delivery first mentality and a firm grasp of Agile Development methodology. Further, the ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to work as a team member.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
* Primary:Support: * Overall, the Data Engineer manages his position by creating databases optimized for performance, implementing schema changes, and maintaining data architecture standards across all of the business's databases. * The Data Engineer is additionally tasked with designing and developing scalable ETL packages from the business source systems and the development of ETL routines in order to populate databases from sources and also to create aggregates. * In addition, the Data Engineer leads innovation through exploration, benchmarking, making recommendations, and implementing data technologies. * The Data Engineer is also responsible for performing thorough testing and validation in order to support the accuracy of data transformations and data verification. The Data Engineer strives to ensure proper data governance and quality across the Data and Analytics organization and the business as a whole.
* The Data Engineer plays a support analytics role where he/she performs ad-hoc analyses of data stored in source and Data Warehouse databases. Further, he/she writes SQL scripts, stored procedures, functions, and views. * The Data Engineer supports to the need to troubleshoot data issues and present solutions to these issues. He/she proactively analyzes and evaluates the databases in order to identify and recommend improvements and optimization. * He/she prepares activity and progress reports regarding the database status and health, which is presented to the team for future activities to pro-actively prevent data corruption, data failure, etc. * The Data Engineer will additionally analyze complex data elements and systems, data flow, dependencies, and relationships in order to contribute to conceptual physical and logical data models.
Physical and Mental Demands
This position will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The position may also entail light lifting of supplies and materials occasionally, up to and including 20 pounds in addition to reaching, stooping, standing, and walking. This position requires the ability to talk, hear, compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, negotiate and communicate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Standard office working environment that may be busy and noisy at times.
Education and/or Experience
* The Data Engineer must have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also accepted for the position. * A candidate for the position will have as at least 5 years of working experience as a database engineering support personnel or a database engineering administrator within a fast-paced a complex business setting. * The candidate must demonstrate experience working with large and complex data sets * A candidate for this position will also have had experience working in internet technologies, for example, SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS. * A suitable candidate will also have had experience in the creation and debugging of databases critical to the business's mission. * The candidate will have strong working and conceptual knowledge of building and maintaining physical and logical data models and experience with Tableau, Domo or other business intelligence tools. * A suitable candidate for the position will also have had system management expertise with monitoring, disaster recovery, backup, automated testing, automated schema migration, and continuous deployment.
* Design, implement and maintain SQL Server databases * Design, implement and maintain ETL processes using SQL Server SSIS * Provide ongoing maintenance support through SQL query tuning and optimization * Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to and get along with others * Professional verbal and written communication skills * Strong organizational and time-management skills * Ability to multi-task and maintain flexibility and creativity in a variety of situations * Ability to analyze and resolve problems * Ability to set and meet goals and consistently meet deadlines * Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Must maintain professional appearance
About Invitation Homes
Invitation Homes owns and manages renovated single-family homes for rent.