The Senior Data Engineer is accountable for the maintenance, improvement, and movement of data in the Enterprise Data Warehouse, and other data sources used for enterprise reporting. A successful Senior Data Engineer delivers database design, implementation, and schematics that creates sustainable, competitive advantage for our company. Further, a Senior Data Engineer is responsible for the development and deployment of innovative analytics data platforms to support end-user enterprise reporting. Working with other data engineers, data analysts, and data scientists, a Senior Data Engineer must have a delivery first mentality and a firm grasp of Agile Development methodology. Lastly, the ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to work as a team member and team leader.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
* Accountable for the overall performance and maintenance of our SQL Server environments:
* Manage the EDW relational database for optimized performance
* Design scalable ETL packages from the business source systems
* Ensure all necessary testing and validation for all planned and unplanned releases
* Mentor junior data engineers in best practices and documentation.
* Act as our database evangelist in leading innovation activities through exploration, benchmarking and implementation of data technologies
* Participate in solution-based activities; articulate your ideas through well thought out documentation and research best-in-class solutions
* Lead and Develop and implement data architecture standards
* Manage the necessary testing and validation to ensure proper compliance to data governance and quality
* Prepare progress reports regarding our database environments'' status and health
* Manage troubleshooting data issues and present solutions to these issues.
* Resolve tactical issues thoroughly while always looking for optimization and documenting lessons learned
* Understand when tactical issues are really systematic issues requiring deeper level of analysis and strategic solutions
* Cooperate with the support team to investigate and resolve data related defectsProactively analyze and evaluate current state of data in order to identify and recommend improvements and optimization
* Support our Agile Development methodology
* Constantly prioritize user stories; balance feature development, defects, and tech debt according to business need
* Be a champion of continuous improvement and delivery; define the minimum viable product, focus teams on key release milestones, and leverage fast follow-up sprints
* Enable sprint progress; clarify story details, validate completed stories, and prepare stories for the next sprint
Physical and Mental Demands
This position will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The position may also entail light lifting of supplies and materials occasionally, up to and including 20 pounds in addition to reaching, stooping, standing, and walking. This position requires the ability to talk, hear, compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, negotiate and communicate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Standard office working environment that may be busy and noisy at times.
Education and/or Experience
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also accepted for the position.
* A candidate for the position will have as at least 5 years of working experience as a database engineering or a database engineering administrator within a fast-paced a complex business setting.
* Design, implement and maintain SQL Server databases
* Design, implement and maintain ETL processes using SQL Server SSIS
* Provide ongoing maintenance support through SQL query tuning and optimization
* Strong working and conceptual knowledge of building and maintaining physical and logical data models
* Strong working and conceptual knowledge of reporting and visualization tools such as SSRS, PowerBI, Tableau, or other business intelligence tools.
* Experience working in SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS
* Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to and get along with others
* Professional verbal and written communication skills
* Strong organizational and time-management skills
* Ability to multi-task and maintain flexibility and creativity in a variety of situations
* Ability to analyze and resolve problems
* Ability to set and meet goals and consistently meet deadlines
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
About Invitation Homes
Invitation Homes owns and manages renovated single-family homes for rent.