University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 26, 2019
Berkeley Law is one of the nation's premier law schools, located at one of the world's great universities, in one of the most vibrant places on the planet. As one of 14 schools and colleges at the University of California, Berkeley, it is consistently ranked as one of the top law schools in the nation.
The law school has produced leaders in law, government, and society, including Chief Justice of the United States Earl Warren, Secretary of State of the United States Dean Rusk, American civil rights activist Pauli Murray, California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso, president and founder of the Equal Justice Society Eva Paterson, United States Northern District of California Judge Thelton Henderson, and Attorney General of the United States Edwin Meese.
* Initiates, develops and manages a range of highly complex AV/IT projects from initial client contact through design, engineering, final installation, and system commissioning, often requiring the application of AV/IT engineering principles to unique environments.
* Coordinates as needed with campus units and contractors on structural, mechanical, electrical and network infrastructure as needed.
* Coordinates any required inspections of complex project and adjoining spaces with campus inspectors.
* Maintains, monitors, repairs and upgrades all AV systems in the law school.
* This may include control system programming and BiAmp audio system programming, and complex integrated room systems with multiple projectors, mics, cameras, recording systems and control interfaces.
* Initiates and conducts product research and provides recommendations, including approaches, trends, sources and uses that have a significant impact on individual or multiple departments across the law school.
* Ensures the law school takes advantage of technological advances, innovative uses and best practices in industry trends.
* Uses a creative approach to make innovative improvements that balance benefits with initial costs, long term costs and general sustainability.
* Pilots new tools and technologies.
* Prepares bid packages for outside contractors and conducts on-site bid walks as needed, including reviews and estimates of schedules and design costs, such as for equipment, installation, labor, materials, and other related costs.
* Provides support to faculty and staff in the use of AV systems for classes and events.
* Creates and updates documentation for AV systems, proposals, or uses, including highly complex detailed drawings and proposals for facilities and systems using CAD programs.
* Serves as the team lead in the Media Services department on issues of AV maintenance, provides training and documentation on AV systems for other team members.
* Participates in team meetings.
* Advanced knowledge of AV/IT design and field implementation.
* Strong creativity and problem solving abilities to apply principles, practices and procedures within discipline to complete difficult assignments.
* Strong project management skills needed to assume responsibility for accomplishment of project objectives.
* Ability to test and operate installed AV/IT equipment.
* Advanced knowledge of audio, video and control systems as well as architectural and cabling requirements.
* Knowledge of electronics theory with emphasis on audio, video, and communications circuitry, AV/IT control systems, and signal flow.
* Knowledge of video and audio file compression protocols.
* Knowledge of acoustic design theory.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey complex information in a clear and concise manner.
* Experience with CAD programs.
* Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
* Professional certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience within the range of $67,000.00 - $82,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.