University Of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 05/17/2019
The UC Berkeley Library provides scholarly information to faculty and students in support of the University's research and instruction mission. Library IT provides technical support for Library including developing, purchasing, and/or supporting all types of hardware platforms and software applications. LIT has primary responsibility for supporting and building UC Berkeley Library's Integrated Library System (ILS), library website(s) (Drupal), and digital projects. The digital projects are research vehicles that are used by library patrons ranging from UCB faculty, students, and staff; other institutions' faculty and graduate students, and the general public. The UC Berkeley Library is a leader in the investigation and implementation of advanced digital library services. Areas of current work include scalable digital library system architectures; efficient methods for creating digital library content; long-term preservation of digital materials; and standards for digital objects, digitization, and archival collection descriptions. LIT supports digital library activities by providing managerial and technical analysis; writing programs to create digital content; writing, enhancing, and maintaining tools to publish, create, and manage digital objects; and training staff for projects that add content to our digital library.
This position is a member of the Library IT Applications Unit, which supports and creates a variety of applications in a variety of languages, including applications that support digital collections and Library business services.
Application administration in the Linux, and Windows environments, including maintaining Apache configuration files, configuring and managing security software tools to verify and maintain the integrity of system files on multiple production machines. Installing and managing various third party software packages.
* Requires basic knowledge of applications programming function.
* Must have knowledge relating to the design and development of applications programs.
* Knowledge of programming design, modification and implementation.
* Requires interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
* Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
* Must be self-motivated, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
* Familiar with web applications, web programming language and object oriented programming concepts.
* Demonstrated skill in programming
* Understanding of web application programming
* Ability to work unusual hours on short notice in order to resolve critical problems or comply with maintenance schedules.
* Ability to manage time and to set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities, so that projects or tasks are completed on time. Ability to change, with direction, work priorities to accommodate changing requirements and/or immediate needs.
* Working knowledge of Linux
* Ability to effectively work as part of a team and collaborate with colleagues
* Ability to maintain knowledge and rapidly learn new web technologies
* Knowledge of full stack, from browser to the backend, including caching, TLS, reverse-proxying load balancing, databases, to web front end development
* Knowledge of continuous integration and testing with version control
* Knowledge of digital library projects
* Experience in a higher education environment
* Experience creating and maintaining application and system documentation
Salary & Benefits
$50,100.00 - $76,300.00
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University Of California
University of California is a public research university system.