Technical Program Manager
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world's most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that's why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what's next.
At Cray we're always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We're not developing products for next quarter. We're developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That's how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what's coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
The R&D Technical Program Manager (TPM) is responsible for planning, communicating, coordinating, and tracking large scale projects within Cray's R&D organization.
The TPM will lead projects through all stages including proposal development, negotiating statements of work (SOW) and the establishment of cost and schedule baselines, to project completion and successful delivery to the customer. In addition, management of technology partners and sub-contractors are a key component of the role.
The role requires a very broad technical (HW and SW) base of HPC experience and expertise.
The role requires working effectively with cross-functional hardware and software development and business support teams, focusing on functionality and quality to meet customer requirements, on time and within budget. The TPM must communicate clearly with customers and at all levels within the Cray organization, offering clear status as well as resolving problems.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Technical Capability - Provide a broad technical understanding of HPC, including hardware, software (OS, PE) system storage, and customer use-cases and challenges
* Program Management - Provide leadership to project teams, and offer direction utilizing effective planning skills and schedules, risk management, and project pricing.
* Manage deliverables - Proactively manage contractual deliverables. Manage content through review processes with Cray technology partners and within Cray.
* Subcontract Management - Develop and manage Cray technology partners and sub-contracts as needed to facilitate Cray programs
* Proposals - Provide leadership in contract closure including the development of customer contracts and statements of work
Requirements Background and Skills:
* B.S. in engineering or computer science. Advanced degree is a plus.
* Five or more years of diverse experience in the high-performance computing industry
* USG DoD or DoE program experience is preferred
* Proven experience managing technology partners and sub-contractors
* Excellent interpersonal and team management skills and experience, including experience of success in a matrix organization
* Strong presentation, written, and verbal skills; excellent organization skills; meeting leadership skills
* Able to understand and comply with the Cray system of internal controls
* U.S. citizenship is required
* Occasional travel required
* Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Apply On-line Send This Job to a Friend
Cray designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and services computing systems, and data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.