Platform Engineering Technical Lead
Who is Cray?
Our business is supercomputing. Our primary aim is understanding the problems our customers are trying to solve and developing the technologies that enable them to make the discoveries that better our world. Cray combines computation and creativity so visionaries can keep asking questions that challenge the limits of possibility. Drawing on more than 45 years of experience, Cray develops the world's most advanced supercomputers, pushing the boundaries of performance, efficiency and scalability. Cray continues to innovate today at the convergence of data and discovery, offering a comprehensive portfolio of supercomputers, high-performance storage, data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer including women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. CRAY Inc. is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Need
For those who ask what if, Cray is a partner that merges computation and creativity to extend the boundaries of what you can discover. Our greatest achievements are realized when we face what seems impossible, and that's why we invite those who believe anything is possible to join us and to keep asking what if, why not, and what's next.
At Cray we're always looking way down the road … years, even decades into the future. We're not developing products for next quarter. We're developing products for questions our customers might not even know they have yet. That's how high-performance computing works. So as you can imagine, we pay very close attention to what's coming … and that includes the next generation of computer scientists and engineers. These individuals are going to be the ones shouldering an awesome responsibility in the coming decades as big data gets bigger, artificial intelligence flexes its muscles more and more, and problems grow in complexity.
We are looking to fill a mission-critical role in the R&D organization for a Platform Engineering Technical Lead in the Cloud and Systems Management organization, which encompasses our Cray Management Services (CMS), Hardware Management Services (HSM), and Cloud teams. The candidate should have strong software development (architecture and implementation), as well as operational experience. The Platform Engineering Technical lead will be a 'hands-on' engineer who will lead a small team of engineers to define and implement the Cray Systems Management platform strategy with regards to tooling, installation/configuration/upgrades, performance, scale-out, health monitoring/diagnostics/alerting, resiliency, authentication, and authorization. In essence, this Platform Engineering Technical Lead will ensure our Cray Shasta platform operates and scales just like a private/public cloud. The ideal candidate will have:
* Deep software experience in system management areas including container orchestration, authentication & authorization, micro-services architectures, distributed object storage software, image repositories, and configuration management.
* Deep architectural experience in building highly-reliable software systems with the ability to perform continuous operation upgrades and rollbacks.
* Strong devops experience with CI/CD/CT pipelines, automated testing platforms, site reliability engineering, and chaos monkey testing.
* Significant software expertise in distributed systems and services models - REST-based services - as well as integration with 3rd party web services, orchestration systems, control and management planes.
* Deep expertise in software, languages, toolchains, and still be actively writing production-level code.
* Motivation and ability to provide self-direction in addition to being able to lead small team of engineers.
* Experience planning and delivering large-scale software projects, from large user-facing use-cases down through product planning and execution backlogs and onto sprint backlogs.
* Experience with introducing new technologies and tools into a culture of more established personnel and working through the cultural challenges of keeping individuals and teams engaged and productive.
Requirements Background and Skills:
* Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering or equivalent job-related experience.
* 5-10 years of experience in designing, building and supporting (in devops fashion) large scale, multitenant software platforms, ideally through a well-supported API.
* Experience with kubernetes, containers, and micro-services in a production environment.
* Experience with deploying and managing services in AWS, Azure, GCP, or OpenStack.
* Experience defining robust APIs and providing implementations using a micro-services architecture model.
* Experience with a modern, full-stack CI toolchain on a public cloud provider.
* Must have Linux or Unix software development expertise.
* Experience in automating large-scale deployments with modern tools (Ansible, etc.).
* Experience with various container runtimes and orchestration platforms (Docker, K8s Mesos, …).
* Experience leading development efforts and driving architecture strategy and implementation.
* Great verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and organization.
* Outstanding problem-solving skills.
* Please note that Cray does not use Google Hangouts for any interviews.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with CRAY will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Apply On-line Send This Job to a Friend
Cray designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and services computing systems, and data analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.