At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Marketplace Intelligence team, within the broader Uber Eats Marketplace group, optimizes dispatching algorithms and new dispatching paradigms with the goal of increasing efficiency and lowering ETAs & prices across all of for Uber's logistics and delivery marketplaces. In school, you may have learned about NP-hard problems like TSP (traveling salesman problem), VRP (vehicle routing problem), and the Knapsack problem - how would you like to solve even harder versions of these problems at scale, in realtime? And we're not just talking about designing algorithms - we are connecting all parties (end users, merchants, drivers) in the marketplaces to achieve efficiency equilibrium.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* You will be leading an exciting and talented team. This is a full stack team with challenges from React apps to building ETL pipelines. If you're seeking to join a team spanning a diverse skill set across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning modeling and training, optimization, simulation and state-of-the-art visualization, and want to build and optimize the dispatching brain to solve the last mile delivery problem, then this job is for you. Contact us if you are as crazy about making an impact as we do, or just want to work with a high-caliber team.
What You'll Need
* Five years experience developing software as an engineer.
* Two years experience experience as an engineering manager or technical lead
* Significant experience building and operating critical high-scale systems.
* Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results.
* Expertise and interest in growing teams: interviewing junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a recruiting team, smoothly onboarding new team members.
* Good software engineering methodology: meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs.
* Exceptional technical skills in backend or frontend engineering: Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
* Passionate about getting your hands dirty and writing code (yes you will write code)
About the Team
The mission of Marketplace Intelligence is bringing global efficiency to Uber logistics marketplace by connecting human and machine intelligence. We power Uber Eats and UberRush by surfacing visibility of marketplace health, improving efficiency from locally greedy to globally optimal. We optimize Uber Eats by focusing on areas like courier/restaurant matching, time/cost tradeoffs, chaining, and the elusive "batching orders". We provide machine intelligence to business teams to run Uber Eats and UberRush efficiently and scale the businesses to hundreds of cities quickly.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.