The Senior Application Developer - Cognos supports business process through technology solutions. The purpose of the role is to develop business software solutions for complex and large-scale projects through object and data modeling, database design, programming, quality assurance, and implementation support. The Senior Application Developer - Cognos participates in application standards development and serves as an evangelist for best practices in development.
Key Areas of Responsibility
* Collaborate with business teams to clarify requirements and business needs.
* Develop system applications to CDW coding standards and quality.
* Technically manage complex and large-scale project efforts in development, maintenance and enhancements of business system applications.
* Collaborate with other developers to determine the optimal solution architecture to ensure application efficiency, maintainability, and scalability.
* Collaborate with business teams to develop high-level system narratives, storyboards, and user interface prototypes.
* Develop system test plans, ensure software quality assurance (SQA) standards are achieved, and validate that business goals are accomplished.
* Complete projects/tasks on a timely basis, according to commitments made to stakeholders and management.
* Proactively update stakeholders and maintain open and courteous communication.
* Report project/task status to the appropriate Application Development Manager on a weekly basis.
* Utilize an object-oriented software lifecycle methodology.
* Serve as a mentor/technical resource for Application Developers.
Cognos Developer Responsibilities
* Develop visual reports (e.g., dashboards, graphs) in Cognos utilizing data from Framework Models and Multi-dimensional cubes.
* Understand functional requirements of data consumers. Translate those requirements into technical solutions.
* Perform analyses to troubleshoot data issues with BI solutions
* Provide input to the development of report test plans.
* Conduct testing and troubleshooting.
* Collaborate with other areas in IT(e.g., DBA's, Network Engineering, Info Security).
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
* 7 years in application development, or 5 years CDW Application Development experience
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent IT knowledge/experience.
Other Required Qualifications
* Demonstrated ability to mentor and coach others.
* Expertise in the appropriate technical language as aligned under required qualifications below.
* Demonstrated ability to understand and articulate details and impacts of complex proposed software solutions.
* Proven knowledge in all stages of the software development life cycle.
* History of working independently with little direction.
* Strong planning and organizational skills with critical attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills.
* Track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving responsibilities
Cognos Required Qualifications
* At least 5 years experience of report development in Cognos.
* 2+ years experience Cognos Administration.
* Proficient with creation of appropriate report views, schedules, deployment archives/promotions
* Proficient with dimensional/cube reporting (strong MDX) and relational reporting
* Working experience with SQL Server databases, building queries, SSIS packages including experience with data warehousing
* Experience with NetVisn, Metamanager, MotioCI or equivalent third-party tools
CDW is a company providing integrated information technology (IT) solutions to business, government, education, and healthcare customers.