We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next. Job Description About the team
Maps are at the core of Uber's service - from understanding pickup and drop-off locations, to navigating drivers or riders and computing ETAs. The Maps Navigation team owns the full stack of technologies on Android, that produces the best route from point A to point B and generates audio and visual turn-by-turn navigation guidance for all of Uber. We serve 14 million trips per day and drivers spend more than 80% of their time on Uber navigating! We power many Uber products such as ridesharing, Eats, freight, bicycles and more to come!
The team is based in San Francisco and Palo Alto.
About the Role
* You'll be responsible for building cutting-edge Navigation solutions at a global scale which only a couple of other companies in tech can claim!
* As an engineer on this team, you will provide technical leadership for the Android platform and work closely with the maps leadership team, PM, DS and other engineers to define the long-term roadmap and make the team's vision a reality.
* You'll have the opportunity to lead cross-team efforts, mentor other engineers and establish engineering best practices across all of Uber.
* Creative problem solving - Have an excellent understanding of product, design, and business goals to be able to identify and solve high impact, highly complex problems.
* Strong code and documentation - your code should be used as the example for your company and you have the ability to build and design technical solutions from the ground up.
* Prior experience in mapping is NOT required. If you have experience building iOS/Android applications at scale, defining cross-platform architectures or leading cross organizational projects then you'll fit right in.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team Why join us?
* Teammates. We are a group of motivated and passionate problem solvers. We care about our inclusive and collaborative culture, where everyone can contribute their talent.
* Impact. Maps is central to Uber's success. We work on incredibly important and visible projects every day. Our code moves real people and things from point A to point B.
* Data. We work with a variety of big data ranging from mobile analytics, geospatially indexed data and sensory data (GPS) that provides endless opportunities for modeling and analytics.
* Engineering. We build world class distributed systems and mobile application optimized for performance at low bandwidths, high throughput and low latency. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
* Fun problem solving. We love solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms and machine learning models. We innovate and build things that have never been built before.
* Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
* Experience in successfully designing and building mobile applications at scale
* Strong expertise in Java and Android SDK
* Bonus points if you built geospatial services and location based mobile applications, such as Navigation, maps search, spatial visualization etc
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.