Verizon Media Group
It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Verizon Media employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business-and the world. Want in? As Verizon's media unit, our brands like Yahoo, TechCrunch and HuffPost help people stay informed and entertained, communicate and transact, while creating new ways for advertisers and partners to connect. With technologies like XR, AI, machine-learning, and 5G, we're transforming media for tomorrow, too. We're creators and coders, dreamers and doers creating what's next in content, advertising and technology.
Verizon Media brings together world-class technology to prepare, deliver and display content so users can watch and enjoy on their terms. The purpose of our platform is simple. It delivers next-generation digital experiences for today's demanding users, whether it be their favorite TV shows, catching up with friends via social media or shopping for the latest gadgets. Built on top of one of the world's largest networks, our platform easily handles your users' appetite for instant, secure and always-on media, anytime, anywhere.
Verizon Media is looking for a candidate to work on complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires in depth evaluation of various factors which may be difficult to define, design, build, implement, modify, test, debug and deploy applications for customer or partner facing products or internal users. The candidate will work in Android Video SDK Team. The candidate will be responsible for execution, planning, architecture, production support to deliver the best video playback experience to deliver video ads and content on native android Apps for Oath properties like Yahoo Sports and Finance and external customers like Fox and Disney. The candidate must be comfortable navigating the entire video serving stack, from browser (mobile and desktop) or native application to middle tier services. We're looking for an engineer with extensive experience in Java, Kotlin, knowledge and experience with Design Patterns, Android Platform and API design. Overall experience with Android performance optimization is a must. You're driven, responsible, hands-on, technical, and accountable.
* Design, buid, implement, modify, test, deploy native User facing Video experiences for Android application or SDK components written in Java or Kotlin.
* Develop high quality modular software solutions with clear API definitions.
* Contribute to engineering best practices, architecture, and implementations
* Contribute to Sprint planning and execution, keep Jira tickets updated with development progress
* Interact with peers and senior leaders in forming roadmaps and achieving strategic initiatives
You Must Have
* At least 5 years of professional web/native application development
* BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* Proficient in Java programming and developing on the Android Platform: experience using intents, services, threading, activity, fragments, Kotlin, Material Design standards etc. -- the skills and tools needed to build Android apps
* Proficient in server-side coding, e.g. NodeJS/Express, PHP, Java, etc
* Experience with Android tooling like Gradle, Command-line, ADB, Android Studio, Git.
* Experience with public cloud IaaS like AWS, Azure, or bare metal
* Understanding of full serving architecture including use of HTTP proxies, knowledge of Traffic Server, Squid, or Varnish a plus
* Significant experience with test engineering including unit testing and functional test automation tools like Espresso, Appium, UIAutomator, Mockito, Robolectric, Wiremock a plus!
* Experience with performance optimization techniques, profiling, debugging
* Experience with continuous integration philosophies and practices
* Preferred: prior experience working with Exoplayer & video domain knowledge (HLS/DASH/DRM etc) a plus!
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please email ApplicantAccommodation@verizonmedia.com or call 408-336-1409. Emails/calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.