The SQL Developer is responsible for reviewing and validating data requirements, providing technical data solutions, and designing logical and physical data structures in support of business data needs. This candidate must demonstrate the ability to analyze business requirements to develop high-level and detailed data, and access models, conduct business and technical data assessments, and document business metadata. You must have the ability to create and maintain conceptual data models, high complexity logical and physical data models and assist in the transformation of these models to physical database implementation. Must be able to design databases with easy end-user access and balance design for optimized data access with resource utilization.
Responsibilities Key Accountabilities:
* Demonstrates a robust understanding of all the business data processes/processing, system interfaces, and where/how that data is used, and the related data structures.
* Design and implementation of ETL process, data structure and the analytical/operational reporting environment. Can design significant new system functionality with a consideration of performance, stability, and supportability
* Thorough understanding of industry best practices. Includes but not limited to modeling, workflow and presentation. Design and implement data extracts both inbound and outbound for internal and external sources.
* Demonstrates problem solving skills that span the application, middleware, and infrastructure levels. Thorough upstream/downstream impact analysis. Assists in defining standards and design patterns/paradigms for data processes and/or structures for development within a team.
* Can produce significant new system functionality or defect resolution with minimal direction
* Creates design specifications that demonstrate an understanding of most interfacing systems and supported business processes. (can understanding business processes go to the developer/analyst)
* Routinely proposes improvements to a data process and/or structure to improve supportability or usability.
* Can perform adequate peer review on any changes in the system
* Can be consulted to provide recommendations to solve business issues and knowledge of current technology
* Demonstrates understanding of data processes and/or structures
Berkley Core Competencies
* Customer Focus and Teamwork
* Innovation and Initiative
Role Specific Competencies
* Positive Learning Culture
* Decision Making and Problem Solving
* Situational Adaptability
* Employee Performance Management
* Extreme Ownership
* Bachelor's degree from four year college or university with emphasis in related field
* 3 - 5 yrs - reasonable single system / single technology knowledge
* 3 + yrs SQL experience(queries, stored procedures, functions)
* 3-5 yrs experience in IT with relational database management.
* 2 + years working with data modeling tools such as Erwin or other related tools.
* A self motivated individual with a passion for success
* Needs to be able to determine how changes impact customer and other systems
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment
* Ability to quickly adapt and learn new technologies
* Ability to work independently
* Strong customer and business focus
Travel Required - Moderate - up to 25% Travel
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be seated for sustained periods of time; be able to pick up, pinch, twist, or keyboard; must be able to communicate detailed or important information accurately; distinguish sounds at normal levels (with or without correction) and be able to receive detailed information orally. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office to accomplish tasks; ability to reach in any direction; raise or lower objects or move objects from place to place; and hold onto objects. Occasionally, the employee may need to move or exert force up to 10 pounds. The employee is regularly required to operate a computer and other office equipment (phone, copier printer).
About W.R. Berkley
W. R. Berkley Corporation is a financial services company focused on the property and casualty insurance business.