We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next. Job Description
We are looking for skilled software engineers with 5+ years of experience to work on various interactive internal and external solutions that enhance people's ability to understand and communicate data.
As an engineer on the Visualization Team, you'll be building end-to-end applications and products to visualize business, geospatial, machine learning, experimentation and self-driving car data.
We serve multiple domains helping teams understand real-time positioning of vehicles, analyze marketplace supply and demand, provide visual exploratory data analysis tools, or debug perception, prediction, and motion planning data flowing through our self-driving cars.
The foundation of our solutions are open source vis frameworks authored by our team like deck.gl. We also invest in our open source advanced exploratory analysis tool for geospatial data kepler.gl which helps thousands of users to gain actionable insights from beautiful maps.
We also build Movement where we visualize and share the anonymized data from billion Uber trips to help urban planning around the world, improve city mobility, safety and traffic, as well as strengthen our partnerships with cities
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll do
* Visualize information for machine learning, geospatial, business intelligence, self-driving car data and other domains.
* Develop data analytics products and advanced user interfaces for data producers and consumers across the company.
* Build a robust platform to share Uber's data, such as travel times, street-segment level speed information or micro-mobility access.
* Collaborate on defining user interfaces that work effectively for internal customers ranging from general managers, operations, security investigators, autonomy engineers, data scientists and execs, as well as external customers like urban planners and researchers.
* Develop components and frameworks for 3D rendering, UI / front-end and visualization engineering.
What You'll Need
* Master's degree in CS or equivalent industry experience.
* Minimum 5 years experience as a software engineer (all flavors of frontend, backend, or fullstack)
* Excitement to fully own a data product experience, from developing novel visualization techniques to testing and ensuring robustness of the application in production.
* Eagerness to learn and get better at what you do, understanding that teamwork is how we get there.
Bonus Points If You're
* Passionate about information design, and have read literature ranging from Tufte to Tamara Munzner.
* Passionate about computer graphics, have worked extensively with (raw) WebGL and other graphics technologies like OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal, etc.
* Excited about Information Visualization (the field), you know what preattentive processing or Myriahedral Projections are.
* Experienced with building and maintaining large scale batch and/or real-time data processing pipelines using Kafka, Spark, Hive and Cassandra.
* Passionate to develop your own framework(s).
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.