BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patient's lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so lower drug development costs, decrease failure rates and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs to patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ'd in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Antwerp. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to Phase II in disease areas such as ALS, Parkinson's, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
The Engineering team is focused on applying engineering rigor and discipline to our growing software platform. We embrace modern microservice architecture and use Kubernetes to orchestrate a machine learning platform that's tailored to empower drug discovery scientists. We are keen to hear from both entry level and experienced Software Engineers with experience and a passion for algorithms and distributed systems design with an emphasis on scalable backend database systems.
Drug discovery is a truly hard problem: by one count, there are north of 7000 diseases with no treatment. To meet this challenge, we work hand in hand with in-house biologists. We use a spectrum of techniques ranging from expert augmentation to deep learning. We integrate nuanced, complex and vast biomedical data into one of the largest biomedical graphs. Our team is made of talented and highly motivated bioinformaticians, engineers, AI scientists, drug discoverers, and product managers. Come help us build software that makes the world a better place, in a very tangible way.
* Designing, implementing, and maintaining scalable backend database systems in support of our artificial intelligence pipeline.
* Developing service apis and frontend applications to serve bioinformatic data, deploy distributed systems into new environments, and track artificial intelligence pipeline status
We're looking for someone with...
* Degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (BSc/MSc/PhD) or related academic discipline.
* Experience in a product team, in a commercial environment, as a software engineer (full-time or internship) or relevant roles. (Senior role: 3+ years experience in a production environment)
* Proven track records for building complex applications, dealing with complex data, and delivering user experiences with attention to code quality and testing.
* Experience and skill in designing database architecture conditioned on the project
* Experience with relational, graph, or document storage backends such as MariaDB, Hadoop, NoSQL, Neo4j, and Elasticsearch
* Solid knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals: Data Structures, Algorithms, and Software Engineering Principles
* Experience with biology and biological data
* Experience in the life science / pharma industry
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicine discover to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.
Find out more
Apply for this job
BenevolentAI is a company engaged in the development and application of artificial intelligence for drug discovery and development.