Premise Data is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer Lead to help build an infrastructure engineering organization from the ground up. The newly formed team will combine software and systems engineering to enhance and build core technical components in an intentional, data-driven way. The ideal candidate will have experience working as a backend/frontend engineer and may or may not have served as a dedicated Site Reliability Engineer Lead.
As SRE Lead, you will create the process by which the company characterizes the operational health of technology investments in terms of resilience, reliability, performance (load/latency), and cost. The newly formed organization will also focus on minimizing risk exposure for privacy and security concerns as well as ensure adherence to compliance standards. You will establish tooling and monitoring for backend services, web portals, and mobile apps. Through partnerships with the Product, Operations, Sales and Data Science teams, you will nurture a collaborative working relationship between engineering and the rest of the company. In partnership with the Platform Engineering Manager, you will report on core metrics and engineering roadmap progress to leadership and assist in leading overall efforts for driving engineering excellence with respect to design, architecture, code quality, and operational excellence.
Premise is a worldwide network and predictive analytics platform bringing visibility to the world's hardest-to-see places. We enable global decision-makers to move faster and make smarter decisions by employing local, on-the-ground contributors to observe and collect real-time data. Our current clients include The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and The United States Department of State (DOS). A $66M Series C Venture Capital organization, we are backed by Google Ventures, SocialCapital, and Andreessen Horowitz, among others. Learn more about us at www.premise.com; or follow us at @premisedata
We are a passionate, tight-knit team that moves fast, appreciates the candor, and deeply values the diversity of our backgrounds. Our diversity mirrors the global nature of our work: we've lived in 30 countries, speak 14 languages, and believe in the value of life experience that an unconventional background inherently brings. What unites us is our innate curiosity and collective ambition to build technology that ultimately has a measurable human impact.
What you get to do:
* Grow a Site Reliability Engineering org from the ground up
* Develop and evangelize tools, processes, and solutions to support the live site, monitor service quality and effectively respond to incidents.
* Establish goals and metrics for engineering quality and risk reduction.
* Deliver data and dashboards that effectively communicate the core facets of system health
* Own and evolve incident response management.
* Partner with teams to coordinate major changes to cross-system architectures
* Design and implement best practices for security, monitoring and logging systems
* Engage in service capacity planning, demand forecasting, service integration, and system tuning.
* Support application development that drives features ranging from user-engagement, notifications, targeting, experimentation, analytics, and fraud detection and prevention
* Recruit and grow team
Your background likely includes:
* Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining mission-critical applications
* Strong sense of ownership, customer service and integrity
* Software development using both OO and scripting languages
* Solid understanding of system design, including the operational trade-offs of various designs
* Awareness of, and ability to reason about, modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes generally, microservices, and so on.
* BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience & analytical skills
* Demonstrated proficiency with data structures, algorithms, distributed computing, storage systems
* Statistics experience and bias for measurement and driving action with metrics
* 5+ years of experience in developing backend applications in an agile environment
* You are passionate about building and developing a world class engineering culture. You are humble and drive positivity.
* Developing for Google Cloud Platform.
* Experience with Python, Java
* Experience with Scala
TechCrunch: Premise raises $50 million to outsource the collection of economic data
The New York Times: Lawrence Summers to join Board of hyperdata startup
BuzzFeed: Introducing the 'Trillion dollar business that's waiting to be destructed'
Washington Post: These smartphone photos can help shape national policy
Wired: Photos are creating a real-time food index
About Premise Data
Premise Data Corporation provides a mobile information network.