Surface Quality team is looking for an engineer who is passionate about high quality software and customer experiences, and validating high quality premium devices and working with latest technologies. We are seeking qualified candidates for Software Engineer positions to work on our next generation of Surface Devices. You will be responsible for the design verification, characterization, tuning and qualification of the software running in Surface devices. You will develop and perform comprehensive verification and characterization strategies and plans that bridge high-level use cases to product architecture/design to effectively and systematically reveal and screen out defects. The Engineer provides critical analysis of data and test results, and drives the right solutions, design changes, optimizations and trade-offs in the context of business priorities. On a frequent basis, you will be executing, reviewing and auditing tests results, while also introducing and enforcing test techniques and methods to ensure robust product qualification.
You will work in a fast-paced environment and will need to demonstrate ability to learn new technologies, make progress quickly and with the maturity to identify and fill gaps. Candidates must enjoy working collaboratively with development, program management, hardware engineers, and partner teams, including suppliers and remotely located engineers in Asia.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated engineer with passion for quality and integrated experiences to thrive in a small team environment. This person will ensure we are delivering the complete end-to-end hardware and software experiences that delight our customers. The ideal candidate would be an engineer with a Major in CS and Minor in EE, or vice-versa.
* BS/MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, or a related degree and equivalent experience.
* Demonstrated ability to design PC Software comprehensive validation and verification strategies with supporting documentation including test plans, procedures, and reports.
* 6 or more years of experience in a relevant field.
* Experience in shipping software and/or hardware and having been through more than one shipping cycle (same or different product).
* Working knowledge of 2 or more of the following PC subsystems: PCBAs, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Batteries, Networking, 3GPP Technologies, Audio, Camera, Display and Graphics, SSD and Storage, Touch systems, external ports like USB and DisplayPort, Thermal, Power, and UEFI.
* Passionate and knowledgeable about Quality: you have what it needs to ship a high-quality Surface device.
* Ability to demonstrate a strong skill-set in analytical problem solving, a history of increasing responsibilities and decision-making experience.
* Ability to work independently, be self-guided and lead and motivate team engineers.
* Excellent interpersonal skills including written and oral communications.
* Some travel will be required to Asia as appropriate to support validation, design and build activities.
Additional desirable qualifications:
* Deep background and understanding in Windows and PC architecture, including driver architecture.
* Experience with Windows OS Kernel. Familiarity with Windows Drivers developing model. Comfortable in using a Windows debugger to quickly identify and resolve issues spanning multiple subsystems.
* Enthusiastic, proactive, motivated and self-driven.
* High tolerance to ambiguity and ability make progress in the face of it.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The Candidate will:
* Be responsible for all aspects of validation of the product hardware and software features, with opportunities to stretch more broadly. Need to be voice of quality and assure the product has the right quality to satisfy our customers and meet the high-quality standards we define for the Microsoft Surface products.
* Work closely with software and hardware developers and program managers, located in Redmond and in Asia, to create solid core designs and enable testability of the products. Also involves working with external suppliers on test execution and test results auditing.
* Review Specs, PRDs, SOW to make sure all Quality aspects are included in the product documentation and confirm that Product Spec and Test Documents are in sync.
* Update test documents with new features or experiences which involves creating and introducing new innovative test techniques or working with internal Microsoft teams to leverage their test collateral
* Working with partners in Asia to make sure they understand the test collateral and are ready to execute the test collateral once HW/SW is available/ready
* Conduct technical reviews/audits throughout the development process. This would include reviews/audit of the test architectures, test plans, test cases, and test results from suppliers.
* Triage incoming bugs to make sure right people are working on the issues and be proactive to investigate, repro and debug problems and collaborate with project team on solutions. Provide first level investigation and repro steps to developer team for investigation.
* Participate in Shiproom meeting, which is platform to make sure all high impacting bugs are correctly prioritized and are getting proper traction for successful launch of the product
* Provide inputs or prepare content for quality status of your project. These are communicated to upper management and key stakeholders on weekly basis and on every HW/SW milestone
* Every HW/SW milestone have exit criteria, you are responsible to make sure quality meets this criteria and work towards achieving it.
* As part of Quality team, you are responsible for helping/supporting ongoing self-host activities and hardware manufacturing and validation in factory. This involves troubleshooting and getting logs from failing machines and working on repro the issue later for investigation.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.