* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent area
* 5+ years of experience in Software Engineering
* Experience with building B2B and consumer quality products, enabling business capability and objectives through technology
* Hands-on skills working with SQL and No-SQL databases
* Broad experience across the following application development technologies and in-depth skills with at least one: NodeJS, React, Go, .Net, or Java
* Experience with cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or Google
* Experience in container technologies like Docker / Kubernetes a plus
* Experience with engineering practices such as code refactoring, design patterns, design driven development, continuous integration, building highly scalable applications, or application security
* Knowledge of Agile software development process
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions
* Able to work under competing priorities and manage expectations effectively
* Comfortable with ambiguity and rapid changes common in early-stage product development
* Able to manage own professional development and contribute to functional knowledge building
* Strong command of English language (both verbal and written)
Who You'll Work With
With McKinsey's Solution Technology team, you'll join our Chicago office to build and shape tech solutions for our McKinsey clients to help solve the world's toughest functional and industry challenges.
McKinsey fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. Our Solutions Technology team is helping to shift our model toward asset based consulting and is foundational to our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
What You'll Do
You will partner with Product Management and Product Design team members to deliver software products with high levels of value, usability, quality and predictability for our clients.
You will develop a strong understanding of the user story and how to best deliver the appropriate functionality, and your work will expand into Cloud technologies, automated testing and microservices domains. You will be an active learner, identifying new open source libraries, using unfamiliar technologies and learning new programming languages to meet technical requirements and modern software development best practices.
You will produce high quality code for the full technological stack, from database to UI and everything in between. Additionally, you will assist with troubleshooting basic issues and improving application performance by responding to specific problems and fixing defects. You'll document and demonstrate solutions with a focus on security and performance by developing flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code. Furthermore, you'll actively participate in SCRUM and Agile software process.
You'll leverage your technical skills by applying them towards the validation of product quality and writing test code, including unit tests and automated test cases. You will keep up with industry trends and innovations and apply knowledge to the existing codebase.
Furthermore, you'll be expected to identify and escalate technical barriers, dependencies or risks in the planning and development process, and maintain a distinct value and quality mindset. You will manage your day to day priorities, time and commitments within your team setting while ensuring that technical standards and best practices are exercised.
McKinsey & Company is an equal opportunity employer.
McKinsey and Company is a management consulting firm serving commercial, government, and not-for-profit organizations.