Bing is not your typical distributed application. It is a distributed Artificial Intelligence engine at scales that are hard to come by. My journey in Bing started 15 months ago, and I am humbled every day as to the sheer amount of ingenuity, passion, and pure love that has gone into building this product. Bing is by far one of the largest, most ambitious, complex, interesting, intelligent, and beautiful pieces of software I have ever worked on.
Bing does Web search well, in fact, very well. Now the question to you, the reader, is: Should we stop at Web search? How about all those other search needs?
Well, as it turns out, Microsoft is committed to helping people break free from search overload wherever they look for information. Whether it is at work in an enterprise setting, on a news site, on a travel blog website, or embedded into an app on their phones, we want to help.
We are a new start-up in Bing collaborating with other teams across the organization to turn that vision into reality. We are building a V1 product that craves folks that are curious, adaptable, result driven, passionate, and customer focused. If you tick those boxes and are excited to learn more, then what are you waiting for? Hit that apply button.
* Be an excellent distributed/backend/cloud developer
* Finished college and have a degree in Computer Science or related
* Dream in DAU/MAU - you are customer focused!
* View tough technical problems as opportunities - you are a great problem solver with analytical skills, and high intellectual horsepower.
* Be an excellent collaborator, capable of building and maintaining relationships with various Microsoft teams and the open source community
* Have 6+ years of related experience with proficiency in C#, Java, C++ or similar. If you have less experience, can you answer yes to at least one of the following questions?
oAre you fluent enough to teach advanced levels of distributed computing, multi-threading, and native cloud app architecture, and can you spot a race condition or a perf issue from a distance?
oDid you start writing code when you were young?
oCan you impress seasoned engineers with your skills?
* Those pesky inefficient foreach loops give you nightmares
* We love open-source and want to contribute as much as possible. How about you?
* An understanding of search stacks such as Google, Bing, Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, and Easticsearch are certainly advantageous
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
In addition to the day to day function of the job that involves building an innovative search solution, you will also:
* Work closely with customers and our PM team to define the path forward
* Analyze and take decisions based on complex and ambiguous data points
* Through hands on contributions, help define the strategy for how we should move forward
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.