Microsoft Azure's Networking division is designing, building, and operating critical network infrastructure our clients rely on every day, transforming a pile of servers into a connected cloud. We are responsible for ensuring the reliability of these networks, in the face of constant change, relying on cutting-edge research and a stellar engineering team. Although we have built a large cloud thus far, the best is yet to come as we are continue expanding at a rapid pace. Our division is responsible for a large diversity of technologies and challenges, including physical fiberoptic cables, software managing how to route packets across a global network as fast as possible, DNS, protection against DDoS, and many other challenging problems. We're looking for engineers and leaders passionate about delivering value to customers in mission critical environments, enjoy a growth hacking culture, and are eager to play one of the most important long games for Microsoft.
* At least 3 years of network engineering experience in an online services or internet service provider environment, which must include Layer 2 analysis and troubleshooting TCP/IP routing & switching in a complex networking environment.
* Experience with routing protocols such as ISIS, OSPF, or BGP
* Experience managing Cisco, Juniper or Arista routers
* CCIE/JNCIE is highly desired
* Knowledge of optical technologies for WAN connectivity
* A Bachelor's degree or at least 5 years of industry experience
* Experience with traffic engineering solutions such as RSVP-TE or Segment Routing
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
* This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
* Candidates must have an active TS or TS/SCI and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph). This role will require candidates to maintain the TS/SCI (with polygraph) clearance.
* Candidates must pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
You gather requirements, design solutions, prototype them in a lab environment, pilot them in production, document, and operationalize the chosen solution. You will also develop automation required to enable mass network deployments and managing the overall network configuration. As a network engineer, you are given great independence to manage your projects and engage with the necessary teams to drive it to success in a collaborative and adaptive environment essential for us to scale at cloud speed.
In Azure Networking, you own features from the design phase through implementation to production. As part of this ownership, you are expected to help support your features by actively participating in an on-call rotation, which includes creating/updating SOPs, Troubleshooting Guides, monitoring systems, mitigating/restoring network incidents, and deep-dive analysis of root causes of outages.
A successful candidate will bring/be:
* Strong working knowledge of Layer 2 protocols, Layer 3 networking with IP, as well as routing protocols such as OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, and MPLS.
* A systematic approach to troubleshooting applied across a variety of networking platforms including, but not limited to, Cisco, Juniper, and Arista.
* Highly effective written and oral communication skills.
* A strong collaborator, attentive listener, calm under pressure, earn confidence from others and be adaptive, since a candidate's role may span a variety of traditional roles, such as design engineer, deployment engineer, operations engineer and project manager.
* Must possess a solid understanding of software architecture with the ability to articulate software requirements to teams of Software Developers.
* Strong scripting skills (Perl, Python, PowerShell and C# are preferred, but not a strict requirement) for automating day-to-day tasks are a plus.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.