Akamai is seeking a Senior Performance Engineer II to join the team that analyzes and monitors the performance of our DNS services and three related products. Fast and reliable performance of these products is crucial to the success of the company. The Internet is a complex and noisy environment, and there are no simple answers to any of the problems the team tackles. This is precisely what makes the job fun and rewarding to anyone looking for a challenge.
As a Senior Performance Engineer II, you will:
* Leverage skills in data analysis, network diagnostics and debugging tools to characterize performance, reliability, scalability and capacity of large scale distributed systems
* Debug complex system issues by analyzing large scale data, system logs and real-time metrics Identify root causes of operational issues and designing tools to help predict and prevent reoccurrence
* Defend Akamai's DNS infrastructure from distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks
* Participate in an on-call rotation with your fellow team members Be a self-starter who is comfortable working in a fast-paced collaborative environment within the team and with other teams at Akamai
About the Team
The 6-person team is part of Mapping Engineering, the group responsible for the software that directs traffic for Akamai's globally distributed network of servers. This software represents Akamai's 'secret sauce', allowing us to manage our customers' Internet information flows with industry-leading performance and reliability.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
* 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline, or
* 6 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline, or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline
* 3+ years experience with Linux or UNIX operating systems
* 3+ years of perl, python or other scripting languages
* Thorough understanding of distributed systems, network routing, Internet principles and statistical data analysis
* Knowledge of DNS
* Demonstrated knowledge of other network protocols and implementations (TCP/IP, UDP), routing protocols (BGP)
* Solid oral/written communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment
* A strong work ethic and positive attitude
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.