Job Summary and Mission
The Senior Network Engineer position engages in network operations activities for Starbucks and facilitates network design and planning. The engineer in this position interprets network data to troubleshoot issues and applies technical knowledge to resolve network incidents. This role manages network projects to both build out and lifecycle network infrastructure under limited supervision.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Research, Design, and Engineering
* Contributes to long term network architecture planning for specific network services.
* Contributes to short- and long-term planning to meet network requirements.
* Facilitates efforts to establish and review network architecture, standards, and best practices for network design and implementation
* Analyzes capacity issues.
* Executes regular planned maintenance and testing activities. Ensures network infrastructure is fully compliant with security guidelines
* Anticipates changes and issues with existing network services to proactively implement solutions before they impact services.
* Attends professional conferences and seminars.
* Presents technical briefings.
* Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Monitoring and Analysis
* Monitor network usage, anticipate problems and suggest solutions.
* Identifies issues with network management tools.
* Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
* Reporting network operational status by gathering and prioritizing data.
Incident Escalation and Troubleshooting
* Gather and interpret data for contribution to root cause investigation of outages.
* Provide Tier III escalation support o f network service incidents to diagnose problems and resolve time-critical issues
* Take part in 24-7 on call rotation
* Documents architectures, processes, as-builts, projects, standards, and root cause analyses both in text and diagram form.
* Contributes to the formulation and implementation of installation standards and procedures.
* Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.
* Manages projects under supervision.
Subject Matter Expertise
* Demonstrates deep dive knowledge of at least one subject matter area
* Effectively uses scripts for network operations
Summary of Experience
8 Yrs of relevant experience
* Full-time experience with medium to large scale enterprise networks including data center networks (4 yrs)
* IT customer support and service (4 yrs)
Routing and Switching
* Experience with Arista, Cisco Systems switches and routers. (3 yrs)
* Experience with TCP/IP, routing/switching concepts, and common routing protocols.
Security Service Technology
* Firewall experience including TCP/IP filtering, NAT, and statefull inspection (3 yrs)
* Familiarity with IDS/IPS technologies
Load Balancing and Proxy Services
* DNS global load balancing
* Application traffic management
* DNS and DHCP administration. (3 yrs)
Virtualization and Server Platform
* Familiarity with network, server, storage virtualization, i.e. MDS switching infrastructure, VSAN, VRF, VPN, and VMWare vSphere. (1-2 yrs)
* Experience installing and configuring Linux or Windows servers and services. (1 yrs)
* Demonstrated experience in data center network architecture and best practices. (3 yrs)
* Experience with Cisco or Arista enterprise data center products. (1-2 yrs )
* Creation of scripts for network operations using Ansible or Python. (3 yrs)
Network Management and Monitoring Tools
* Network management tools. (3 yrs)
Education and Certification
* Associates degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or equivalent military experience in network systems and technology.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Problem Solving and Network Troubleshooting
* Ability to apply both critical and systematic thinking to network incident resolution and root cause investigation.
Routing, Switching, and Security
* Knowledge proficiency with Cisco IOS and NX-OS, Arista EOS, and PAN-OS with hands-on experience configuring routers, switches and firewalls.
* Knowledge proficiency with TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF and VXLAN.
Network performance Tuning
* Able to discern and correlate data from network instrumentation.
Network Design and Implementation
* Able to design and implement networks to meet the needs of customers and projects.
Network Hardware Configuration
* Able to configure network hardware based on templates and networking best practices.
Load Balancing and Proxy Services
* Ability to configure and support load balancers and proxy servers.
* Verbal and written skills reflecting an ability to express oneself clearly and articulately. Fluency in technical terms relevant to networking.
* Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
* Ability to employ patience and empathy while dealing with conflict or differing viewpoints.
* Your accomplishments, outcomes, and impact, relative to goals.
Living our Mission and Values - Behaviors that demonstrate Our Mission and Values
* Creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome.
* Acting with courage, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
* Being present, connecting with transparency, dignity and respect.
* Delivering our very best in all we do, holding ourselves accountable for results.
Helping Others Succeed - contributing to the success of others, beyond your role.
* Connecting across Starbucks.
* Sharing and working together.
* Leveraging and learning from each other.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
Starbucks is a chain of restaurants that retails handcrafted coffee, tea and fresh food items.