As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for creating navigation and attitude determination designs for New Shepard, New Glenn, Blue Moon and future Advanced Development Programs. You will share in the team's impact on all aspects of system design, simulation development, performance analysis, algorithm design, hardware design, component integration and test. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
* Design, build, and test highly reliable navigation systems to support boost, reentry and precision landing, orbital rendezvous & docking, terrain relative navigation, deep space transit, hazard avoidance, and terminal approach
* Lead team-based engagement in the entire design cycle of navigation systems including conceptual design, performance modeling, algorithm development, integration and mission support
* Collaborate with internal stakeholders to define requirements, dependencies and schedule needs associated with delivering navigation systems across Blue Origin programs
* Establish and build navigation software architectures and system components in MATLAB, Simulink and C
* Support systems analysis with a cross-functional mindset to drive system-level architectural decisions
* Perform analyses, including covariance and Monte Carlo simulations, to satisfy top-level system specifications and requirements
* Assist in developing verification and validation procedures to ensure software products will perform as specified to meet system and subsystem requirements
* Lead the development and execution of component-level navigation test programs, hardware-in-the-loop testing, on-vehicle functional testing, and flight testing
* Identify opportunities for safety improvements and operational cost savings
* B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace engineering with 10+ years of design experience
* Demonstrated knowledge in the development of navigation algorithms including inertial mechanization, sensor compensation, state estimation, ground alignment and GPS measurement processing
* Ability to develop system level requirements, decompose requirements to subsystems, perform trade studies, develop navigation analysis tools and perform analyses related to navigation for launch and space vehicles
* Highly organized and capable of planning and guiding complex technical work
* Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
* Experience with MATLAB and Simulink and associated autocoding practices
* Able to identify problems, perform root cause analysis, and implement corrective actions
* Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
* M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace engineering
* Demonstrated knowledge in designing, testing and flying aerospace navigation systems for rockets, missiles and/or aerodynamic reentry systems
* Experience with inertial sensors, GPS receivers, star trackers, LiDAR, radar, optical sensors, or image processing
* Experience with optical navigation, terrain relative navigation, orbit determination, and autonomous hazard identification
* Ability to continuously manage risk and be comfortable with lean software development techniques
* Demonstrated proficiency working with program and senior management to drive technical projects through gated reviews and successful completion
* Solid system engineering and configuration management skills
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
About Blue Origin
Blue Origin is an aerospace manufacturer and spaceflight services company.