Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
Wellington Management Company's Investment Data Science team is a growing, Boston-based team that has the vision and potential to impact investment outcomes throughout the firm. We partner directly with Wellington's world-class community of investors, applying data science and machine learning to tackle a wide range of questions about companies, industries, and the global economy. The environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and we have deep access to data from both public and proprietary sources. Since data science is a mash-up of multiple research disciplines, we have built a team that features diverse backgrounds and complementary skills. We draw on a range of modeling techniques like Bayesian statistics, machine learning, and natural language processing, and work with large structured and unstructured sources of data to produce investment insights. Our team delivers these insights in the form of dashboards or visualizations, as predictive models, and, in some cases, as signals that can be plugged directly into systematic investment strategies.
The Investment Data Science team is hiring a senior researcher with expertise in machine learning and statistics. This position will work on a mix of long-term and short-term modeling projects and will advise machine learning practitioners on investment teams throughout the firm.
* Lead research projects from idea generation and prototyping through validation within the Wellington investment community and deployment into production
* Develop predictive models to forecast economic and business outcomes
* Architect ML-based optimizations to existing systems and processes within our data science stack
* Advise quantitative investment teams who are incorporating machine learning techniques into their research process
* Mentor other Investment Data Science team members on machine learning techniques
We believe in building a diverse team with varying qualifications and experiences. As such, we are looking for researchers who can bring not only the technical and quantitative skills, but also unique perspectives to the many questions and problems we are tackling. The ideal candidate is a self-directed, hard-working team player. This person must be intellectually curious and capable of managing the demands of multiple projects at one time. He/she should be a quick study with high energy. This position is appropriate for individuals with strong analytical capabilities, strong written and verbal communication skills, and an eagerness to apply both in the context of a collaborative investment decision-making process.
Specific qualifications for the position are the following:
* Advanced academic degree (or equivalent experience) in a quantitative field such as computer science, mathematics, or statistics
* Strong background in classical machine learning, ideally including at least five years of relevant experience, both academic and commercial
* Deep experience working with probability, statistics, time-series and cross-sectional analysis, especially with very large data sets
* Fluency with one or more programming languages including Python, R, Scala, Java, C++/C#
* Interest in applying computational methods to tackle challenging real-world problems within a domain such as finance and economics
Helpful but not required:
* Familiarity with finance and asset management
* Experience working with financial datasets
* Experience building deep learning models
Senior Machine Learning Scientist, Investment Data Science Team
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com.
About Wellington Management
Provides a range investment services to public and private institutions.