University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 24, 2019
The Production Control Shared Service Center (PCSSC) is a UC multi-campus organization. The PCSSC is responsible for delivering workload automation, batch scheduling and file transfer services in IBM mainframe and distributed (Unix, Windows, Linux) platform environments.
Our customers include UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Cruz, UC Office of the President and UCPath. Our services are used for IT application support organizations and Users of UC business applications such as Payroll, Financial Systems, UC Retirement System, Student Systems and Human Resources.
The position involves providing a variety of IT services defined and supported by the Production Control Shared Services Center (PCSSC) to our Business and UC IT customers. Liaisons serve as representatives of the PCSSC to one or more of its' UC customers/clients. Assignments include support of workload automation, Managed File Transfers and job scheduling as related to business applications programming development and maintenance, business systems analysis, policy and standards development and/or maintenance of a combination of these and/or other IT functions related to monitoring, managing and implementing workload automation in the UC IT production environment.
Customer Liaison & Management
* Provide customer service to identify and resolve complex workload automation and job scheduling issues to meet customer needs of other UC campuses.
* Representing PCSSC, attend weekly meetings with a designated UC Campus. Objective to gather future requirements, address concerns (meeting/not meeting SLAs) and identify new protocols and application changes that may impact production job flows and schedules.
* Collaborate with Application Development Services Managers and functional (business) users to define and develop job flows for new applications. Code test, and implement as required.
* Using BMC Control-M utility programs, develop, define and establish a database of job statistics. Develop and deploy a daily and weekly summary of job statistics for each campus served by the PCSSC
* Using Help Systems GoAnywhere programs, develop, define and establish a database of file transfer statistics. Develop and deploy a daily and weekly summary of job statistics for each campus served by the PCSSC
* Applies IT concepts to perform complex analyses and functions from multiple IT areas of specialization.
* Responsible for business analysis of complex issues in support of campus-wide applications under development.
* Assist UC application developers and PCSSC business clients with coding, testing and implementing file transfer services using Help Systems GoAnywhere software .
* Increase job related knowledge of mainframe and open systems (Unix, Windows) job scheduling software, system utilities, MS Office programs and UC collaboration tools. Attend training sessions, classes and demonstrations when offered. Supplement existing knowledge and skills through technical journals, manuals and other resources.
Development of Standards
* Develop and document Production Control Shared Service Center processes and procedures which are complex in nature.
* Develop & define new customer protocols and standards based on customer business needs.
* Perform missed Service Level Agreement (SLA) investigations, review audit and control processes, change management, process architecture, and other job scheduling issues. Report results and identify solutions where applicable.
* Enforce Production Control standards and policies through meetings with campus representatives and documenting non-compliance.
Production Control & Trouble-Shooting
* Guide and manage the conversion and migration of existing jobs/schedules of other UC campuses into BMC Control-M leveraging the BMC Control-M conversion tool. Code and test converted/migrated jobs and schedules prior to production turnover.
* Using mainframe and distributed job scheduling software Control-M, PeopleSoft, GoAnywhere or UC4- guide, troubleshoot and reconcile job issues based on review of AJF or Queue associated with job streams/flows for UC location production schedules.
* Guide the application of filters to limit AJF review and analysis to specific applications. Analyze display log messages associated with the completed execution of a job.
* Problem-solve and analyze issues to code, schedule, execute and confirm successful completion of complex adhoc production job requests.
* Advise Application Development Services on proper sequencing of tasks.
* Ability to creatively solve a diverse to complex range of problems.
* Strong technical skills and knowledge in job-scheduling software tools, utility programs and associated subsystems.
* Technical skills and knowledge to maintain mainframe TSO/ISPF, Windows and Unix user environment associated with a Production Control Login ID.
* MS Office Word, Excel, Project, Visio.
* Sharepoint, Google Docs, Wiki Confluence.
* Mainframe z/OS TSO/ISPF and SDSF, REXX, Control-M KSL.
* Ability to help with Systems GoAnywhere used for automating and securing the exchange of data (FTP) with customers.
* Trouble ticketing systems - Experience creating, updating, resolving and closing trouble tickets associated with unsuccessful completion of production work or tickets requesting special processing. Service Now is an example of ticketing systems used by multiple UC Campuses currently.
* Knowledge and skill with mainframe z/OS operating system file organizations (Sequential, PDS, VSAM)
* Skills necessary to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally to external UC Campus clients.
* Able to thoroughly collaborate on documenting processes, procedures and run-books describing processing of UC IT business applications.
* Experience collaborating with customers and producing positive outcomes.
* Experience in workload automation and job scheduling tools.
* Bachelor degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Experience with at least one of the following subsystems preferred:
* BMC Control-M and Enterprise Manager
* ASG Zeke
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.