What you'll be doing...
Verizon is seeking a highly motivated and talented senior network security engineer with expertise in big data, machine learning, data analytics, visualization, internet protocols, and network security. Successful candidates will be able to apply their experiencein the design, and implementation of cutting-edge and mission critical network systems used to detect and mitigate sophisticated threats facing Verizon and our customers. The Network Intelligence infrastructure consists of several large scale compute and storage clusters that are used to analyze petabyte scale network and security event data sets for anomalous and malicious network activity.
* Successful candidates will have responsibility for a number of the following areas based on the unique experience that they bring to the project...
* Perform necessary assessments, designs, plans, and implementations to sustain a high performance network and computer environment.
* Develop applications and systems to analyze big data sets in new and unique ways, using tools such as Hadoop, Kafka, Spark.
* Contribute to research focused on the detection of tools and tactics used by modern and emerging threat actors. Use cyber intelligence information collected from multiple sources to understand the threat landscape to drive mitigating change to protect Verizon.
* Perform necessary data cleanup and pre-processing.
* Maintain vendor relations to ensure compute infrastructure is current, meet design objectives, and drive technical issues to resolution.
* Perform necessary provisioning and change management configurations on computing devices and systems.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have...
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
* Experience analyzing huge data sets.
Even better if you have...
* A degree.
* Knowledge on networking (especially Internet related protocols), and network and information security.
* Four or more years of hands on experience working with internet-scale data sets such as Netflow, BGP, DNS, and IDS logs.
* Experience developing in a variety of programming languages, including Java, C and a dynamic language such as Python, Ruby or Perl.
* Knowledge of network-based, system-level, and application layer attacks and mitigation methods.
* Strong oral and written communication skills required for internal and external communication, at a range of technical and executive levels.
* Experience with commercial big data analytical tools such as Splunk.
* Experience and understanding of basic relational and non-relational databases.
* UNIX systems engineering expertise with a wide variety of UNIX variants.
* Knowledge and experience in any of the disciplines of statistics, data visualization, anomaly detection, machine learning.
* Splunk, Hadoop, Cassandra, or related experience.
* Membership and involvement within external security communities such as NSP-SEC, Ops-trust, etc.
* Experience with a variety of leading SQL and NoSQL technologies.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.