Microsoft aspires to change the world by empowering every developer, on any platform, to achieve more. The Visual C++ Compiler Backend Group helps the company serve this vision by delivering technologies that bring our stack to new platforms, provide differentiators to make those platforms compelling, and attract developers to our platforms through world-class productivity features. The Compiler Backend team has been involved in every new platform bring-up and many key technology initiatives for Microsoft. Our compiler also serves the industry at large. The MSVC compiler has the privilege of being trusted by over a million developers for their development needs.
The Visual C++ Backend Group is looking to hire an experienced software manager and proven technical leader to help take this already talented and capable team to even higher levels of performance. The team is responsible for the Visual C++ (MSVC) compiler backends, as well as binary tools such as assembler, linker, debug components, and numerous binary analysis tools.
In this role you will manage the compiler backend teams and coordinate with peers in Visual Studio to deliver high quality releases on a regular cadence. This role will also involve building deep relationships with internal platforms teams (Windows, SQL, Office, XBOX) to developer compelling technical solutions to challenging problems. This role also requires great focus with external customers, helping deliver on their needs for higher developer productivity.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or Science
* 10+ years of development experience in low-level software systems or software tools (compilers, runtimes, languages, operating systems, debuggers, profilers, post-link binary tools)
* 7+ years managing software engineering teams (design, architecture, development, quality, service engineering)
* Direct experience in compiler backend development.
* Strong understanding of modern CPU architectures and trade-offs, ABI conventions, runtime concepts, intermediate-representations, program analysis and optimization techniques
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Manage an open, respectful and diverse engineering culture
* Lead with great communication, collaboration, and project management skills
* Manage efficient engineering rhythms and processes for the team
* Leverage your technical experience in software development to design compelling product innovation that delight customers
* Collaborate with Division leadership to develop compelling strategy and vision for the team
* Maintain strong relationships with internal and external customers to provide outstanding support
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.