At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber ATG is looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead, guide, and grow our San Francisco Perception team. This team is comprised of diverse engineers and researchers focused on perception model development, the application of those models to improve performance on our fleet of self-driving cars, tooling for training and evaluation, and core software components supporting effective experimentation and deployment. This team works very closely with the Pittsburgh Perception team, other local teams in San Francisco and our research center based in Toronto.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Lead a team of perception engineers and researchers to deliver state-of-the-art perception algorithms combining image, lidar, radar, and other sensor data to improve performance on a fleet of self-driving cars
* Contribute to the long-term vision of the team and organization
* Grow the team, guide and mentor team members, and build new leaders
* Set the roadmap, drive detailed planning, and ensure execution of deliverables
* Ensure robust, reusable, efficient, testable, production-quality software is being delivered to the organization
* See your work deployed fast and often into the real world and stretch yourself as you progress from one tough challenge to another
* Data-driven decision making and analysis at the model and system levels, leading the team optimistically through significant changes to our software stack when new approaches show improved metric results
* Collaborate and communicate closely with cross-site testing, integration, and triage teams to ensure proper delivery and performance of productized models
* Identify, propose, and build tools, software, and processes for efficient experimentation, applied machine learning at scale, and effectively bringing new research into production
* Work closely with local teams focused on labeling, prediction, machine learning platforms, sensor development, and autonomy system design
* Effectively work across sites, collaborate, and maintain team alignment with the perception team in Pittsburgh and the research center in Toronto
* Stay current with new research results, new tools and frameworks, and ensure the team is always learning and improving
* Promote the work we are doing externally and give back to the community through publications, open-sourcing software, and giving talks
What You'll Need
* Demonstrated ability to deliver computer vision or other perception algorithms in a production setting
* Data-driven mindset and experience using large datasets for analysis, training, metrics, and decision making
* Experience with the full software cycle through requirements gathering, design, coding, testing, release, incorporating feedback and iteration
* Team player mentality with a demonstrated ability to effectively work across teams and sites
* Ability to work beyond your core engineering field and understand how the pieces fit together in the overall system
* Leadership aptitude with strong collaboration and communication skills, ability to motivate teams, and effectively provide and receive feedback
* Comfortable in a fast-moving organization and able to quickly learn and adapt
* Passion and a strong sense of ownership over everything you do
* Minimum 5 years experience with computer vision and applied machine learning
* Minimum 3 years experience leading technical teams, growing team members, designing and architecting complex engineering solutions, planning and executing this work, and communicating and driving consensus on technical solutions across teams
About the Team
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.