Verizon Media Group
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That's why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We're big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
Tumblr's monetization team is looking for a senior platform engineer who is passionate about designing, building and most importantly, delivering performant APIs and services. We put a strong emphasis on personal ownership and value engineers who not only write code, but also take pride in working over the full lifecycle of a project. The products that our team builds are Tumblr's primary revenue streams. For this reason, we value careful planning and accurate timelines.
You will be part a team of 4-6 engineers who are responsible for developing and maintaining Tumblr's monetization features. This includes our ad trafficking API, supply side integrations, analytics pipelines, ad placement algorithms, and various internal tooling. You'll collaborate with product managers, project managers, analysts, and other engineering teams around the organization to turn ideas into finished products.
Successful engineers on the monetization team have a breadth of knowledge for various server-side technologies. As the internet advertising landscape evolves over time, so too does the strategy of our team. Engineers on our team are given opportunities to learn new technologies as our team strategy evolves.
Description of an Ideal Candidate:
* 5+ years of backend web development experience.
* Expert in Computer Science fundamentals
* Fluency in PHP, Go, and Python or similar backend languages with a willingness to learn on the job.
* Familiarity with project management techniques and providing accurate timelines.
* Motivated to see projects through to completion.
* Experience with event logging, analytics pipelines, ETLs and analyzing big data for the purpose of technical troubleshooting.
* Habit of writing and updating technical documentation for reusable code.
* Experience writing unit and integration tests.
* Comfortable reviewing PRs of peers and performing manual testing when automated tests are insufficient.
* Experience maintaining consumer facing APIs and familiarity with API standards.
* Equal willingness to teach and learn.
Tools We Like:
* PHP / Go / Python
* Memcache / Redis
* Hadoop / Hive
* Kafka / Druid
* Git / Github
* Jira / Confluence
* OpenTSDB / Grafana
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or participate in the application process.
Currently work for Oath? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.