Verizon Media Group
Yahoo Mail is the ultimate consumer inbox with over 220 million users. It's the best way to access your email and stay organized from a computer, phone or tablet. With its beautiful design and lightning fast speed, Yahoo Mail makes reading, organizing, and sending emails easier than ever.
About Us: We specialize in deep, creative thought on the company's hardest technical problems, and hire amazing research scientists and engineers who serve as Yahoo Research's most forward-looking thinkers. We stretch the limits of theory, we apply novel ideas in practice and we experiment. We love challenging problems, we love bleeding-edge technology, we love deep neural networks, and we love data. Yahoo Research is one of the most highly collaborative places you'll ever see. Partnerships abound within our own teams, with all key engineering and product teams and with the international scientific community. We'll challenge your brain every day, and when you succeed you'll change the lives of hundreds of millions of people, allowing them to do things they never dreamed they could do. Join us and use your scientific background to drive innovation at scale!
About You: You are a leader with deep expertise in your domain. You are not afraid to tackle open-ended problems. You love making an impact on product and business. You are passionate to excel in everything you do and the ability to work effectively in high-energy, cross-functional teams. You are not afraid to do make the first move. You have demonstrated experience in managing projects and are detail-oriented, effective in written and interpersonal communication, analytical and comfortable operating under pressure and tight deadlines. You are well experienced with the challenges of working with large-scale data.
Your Day: The Yahoo Research SF group is looking for research engineers to work on a broad set of real-world practical problems of massive size that have a direct impact on a wide range of products such as Tumblr, or Yahoo Mail. The successful candidate will be expected to drive innovation and lead execution in many areas across a number of potential projects in:
* Image and Video Understanding: visual recognition, visual saliency detection, vision/language, visual aesthetics and creativity
* Natural Language Processing
* Deep Learning
* Recommendation Systems
* Play a critical role in the group as a creative research engineer.
* Implement possible solutions, evaluate outcomes, and update research direction according to business goals and constraints.
* Work closely with engineers to develop prototypes and transfer research to new products, new processes, and/or new business areas.
* Follow a project through its entire lifetime from problem formulation to solution delivery.
* Actively participate in the academic community and publish high-quality research.
* Collaborate with academics and students from top universities on novel research ideas.
* 2+ years of academic or industrial experience in areas of interest listed above
* M.S. or Ph.D. in Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Multimedia, Machine Learning, AI or a related field.
* Demonstrated expertise and desire to work hands-on in analyzing and modeling large data sets.
* Strong algorithmic problem solving and software development skills (Python, C/C++, etc.).
* Hands-on experience with deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Keras, Pytorch, Caffe, etc.
* Excellent communication & writing skills.
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or participate in the application process.
Currently work for Oath? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.