As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement :
Partners Healthcare Systems' (PHS) Enterprise Research Infrastructure and Services (ERIS http://rc.partners.org) is immediately seeking a Senior Infrastructure Engineer with extensive experience in Linux, Windows, Microsoft Active Directory, VDI or RDS solutions and VMware environments.
The role is responsible for the build and administration of our Data Enclave ecosystem and includes managing the systems from every aspect of Windows and Linux servers, VMWare, hardware and its network, deployment, automation, and technical troubleshooting. The role is challenging and varied, requiring technical, interpersonal and problem-solving abilities.
Using your knowledge, you will develop and maintain the infrastructure needed to support high-throughput data analyses and further the research that includes translational and clinical studies needed to transition findings from the bench to the bedside. In the course of expanding and improving the service capability, you will interface with commercial hardware and software vendors, select and deploy new technologies and create how-to guides for end users.
Candidates are not expected to be deeply knowledgeable in all areas but must demonstrate the ability and desire to learn and to support a large and diverse environment. Ideal candidates thrive on variety and innovation in their daily work, on interaction with customers who are world-renowned leaders in their scientific field, and on working with a wide range of technologies in an academic environment.
ERIS enables and provides technology and solutions to the highly successful and innovative research and clinical programs of the top teaching hospitals in the world--Massachusetts General (MGH #1 healthcare research organization), Brigham and Women's (BWH #2), McLean (# 23) and Spaulding Rehabilitation (#24).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Ensure the availability, scalability, security, and performance of the VMware Horizon VDI environment
* Maintain a secure computing environment, including backups, patching, virus
updates, and regular security scanning and remediation.
* Suggest cybersecurity solutions and process improvements to help minimize the risks to computer network defense threats.
* Analyzing system logs and identifying potential issues.
* Write and maintain Puppet/Ansible code to deploy and maintain systems and applications.
* Analyzes result of server monitoring and implement changes to improve performance, processing and utilization. Proposes, maintains and enforces polices, practices and security procedures.
* Analyze and resolve customer and technical problems.
* Develop, publish and maintain knowledgebase articles and documentation on systems features, best practices and usage how-to's as well as training and reference materials for the community using the ERIS wiki and knowledge management tools.
* Evaluate, select and deploy hardware and/or cloud solutions for research scientific computing. This includes CPU and GPU-based compute, high speed networking and data storage.
* Field work within the corporate datacenter.
* Perform other duties as assigned or required by the situation and circumstances.
* BA/BS/engineering degree required or equivalent combination of skills/experience. Advanced degree in engineering or related scientific discipline preferred.
* 6 years of experience in managing/administering Linux server environments (CentOS/Red Hat are preferred).
* 4 years of experience with VMware systems, creating VMs and installing guest OS.
* 4 years of experience managing Microsoft Windows servers and Active Directory Services.
* 2 years of experience with automation and configuration management tools (Puppet or Ansible are preferred).
* A combination of education and experience may be substituted for requirements.
* Demonstrated knowledge of configuring, managing, and troubleshooting Microsoft windows server operating systems in physical and virtual environment and hands on experience with windows server patching.
* Experience with desktop virtualization (VDI) and RDS, with expert troubleshooting and installation knowledge with VMware or Citrix (VMware preferred)
* Significant experience with Linux Systems Administration, including Ubuntu and CentOS.
* Expert knowledge of server virtualization using VMware.
* Hands-on experience writing automating software deployment and system configuration using Puppet or Ansible.
* Proficiency in one or more administrative languages such as Bash, Ruby, Python, PowerCLI, etc.
* Experience with monitoring software such as Prometheus, Zabbix, Nagios, etc.
* Understanding of DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, NFS, SMB and HTTP network protocols.
* Strong verbal and written communication, ability to write clear technical documentation.
* High level of initiative and eagerness to learn new technologies.
* Highly desired:
* Familiarity with information technology security and data privacy considerations applicable to a healthcare environment is advantageous.
* Experience providing support to research investigators with diverse computing needs is a strong plus.
* Standard office environment with travel to Hospital locations in the Boston Metro area including the data centers
* As projects and priorities dictate, flexible work and off-hours are required including evening, night and weekend hours to cover events, roll-outs and special projects
* Occasionally lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.