What is Payments at Airbnb?
What causes hosts to welcome guests from the other side of the world into their homes? Trust. And getting paid on time!
Our co-founder, Brian Chesky, created Airbnb Payments after he had a tough time paying his host when using Airbnb at SXSW. Before, to book someone's home, you had to convert currency, find ATMs, deal with withdrawal limits, carry large amounts of cash, or even negotiate in an unfamiliar language. Thanks to Airbnb Payments, no longer.
As a result, Airbnb has a $50 billion dollar global footprint. We have as much volume as Venmo, 3x more currencies than PayPal, and support 7x more countries than Stripe.
Airbnb Payments partners with Airbnb's businesses (Homes, Experiences, Plus, Lux, China, many more) to build user-facing features to grow those businesses. Further, Airbnb Payments promises our businesses infrastructure and tools that are high-quality, robust, and reliable. To deliver on our promises, we have to solve difficult problems across our entire stack.
Talented engineers built our current Airbnb Payments platform. We want talented engineers to take Airbnb Payments to new heights. We welcome all engineers, regardless of prior payments experience.
Learn about our challenges and learn about our people here.
What is a Frontend Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
* You'll build customer-facing and internal-facing user interfaces for the Airbnb Payments Platform.
* You'll help us be excellent at mobile web -- both in design and performance.
* You care about building world-class frontends, which combine usability, accessibility, elegance, performance, and maintainability.
* You care about our developer users. We deliver high-quality components developers can use to build the best marketplaces in the industry.
* You care about our hosts. We build tools these entrepreneurs use to run and expand their businesses.
* You care about our guests. We build tools to make paying hosts easy and trustworthy.
Some Upcoming Projects:
* We built Quick Pay, a toolbox of payments components in React that Airbnb developers use all over our website. Instead of rebuilding the checkout experience for every new product, Airbnb developers design and configure their own checkout experiences without having to worry about payment stuff such as currency, payment method, taxes, etc. We've completed foundational work, and are now launching new features and experiments on top of Quick Pay that directly impact business metrics and strategic initiatives
* Building our self-serve Payments Platform for developers of Airbnb products. This allows other Airbnb businesses to manage the marketplaces they create with their hosts and guests
See our recent Tech Talk and the blog post more details.
* Using Hyperloop, our frontend toolkit and platform running on node.js (not a space tube), to decouple web development across Airbnb and deliver superior developer and user experience
* Dynamo, a graphical UI builder that generates JSON schema-based frontends for all client platforms (web, iOS, Android)
* 2+ years industry experience
* We use React/Redux/ES6/Typescript/Ruby on Rails. You should know how to build products using a modern web development framework (React, Angular, Ember, Vue, etc).
* You are comfortable with all of the fundamental web development technologies (ES6+, HTML, CSS, etc)
* You understand browsers and DOM and can solve cross-browser compatibility issues, optimize client-side performance, and build responsive designs
* You've used modern web development tooling to build sites: CSS preprocessors, bundlers, testing frameworks
* You're a great teammate, participating in design and code reviews, pairing, and mentoring as needed to make the team better
* Work with design, product, data science, and research partners to shape the products you've built for customers
* Work beyond just shipping your product; evaluate, evolve, and optimize your work to deliver the best, most valuable user experiences
* Constantly have an eye towards making front-end development on your team and Airbnb better, identifying and communicating best practices
* Drive the future of Frontend products in the industry and create world class performance for all of Airbnb's products
* Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness Discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter Subsidies
* Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Much more...
Airbnb is a company which provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.