The Scientific and Cloud Computing group at the Abbvie Cambrdige Research Center in Cambridge, MA supports a variety of technical computing workloads serving a community of scientists focusing on pharmaceutical R&D. This position offers the opportunity to work in a cross functional team of informatics scientists and IT professionals in building the next generation of technical and HPC computing resources, processes and infrastructure.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate with a programming background, system administration knowledge, experience in supporting the life sciences / technical computing field and a focus on delivering flexible infrastructure through modern operational methodologies and technologies including automation and orchestration tools. A successful candidate will be someone who seeks and excels in applying novel approaches to difficult and complex IT problems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Work within a focused team in developing technical computing and HPC strategies to carry out their implementation including hardware, operating system, automation and application software deployments
* Implement scalable and relocatable deployment strategies through automation/orchestration, scripting and containerization in both on premises and cloud settings with the goals of applying DevOps methodologies to scientific computing
* Work directly with researchers and scientists as a member of their team in designing, prototyping/testing, tuning for parallelization, problem analysis and preparing documentation for processing and data acquisition pipelines
* Respond to user's requests for direct support of application troubleshooting
* Transfer knowledge and promote new technologies within the user community through one-on-one help sessions and documentation
* Assist users to install, configure and/or script informatics tools and applications. Help guide their analytical processes through understanding their work and data flows.
* Provide Linux/UNIX administration
* Use AbbVie Inc. values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
* BS/MS in Life Sciences and or Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field
* 3+ years of strong scripting or programming experience (Python, R, Bash, Perl, Ruby, C/ C++, other)
* 1-3+ years of experience in the implementation, integrating and use of orchestration and automation tools or platforms (Ansible/Salt, Jenkins, Kubernetes, OpenStack etc)
* 1-3+ years Amazon Web Services experience
* 1-3+ years of experience in the planning, deployment and management of Linux systems (RHEL, Ubuntu)
* Demonstrated experience/knowledge of computational clusters (CPU & GPU), HPC and/or grid computing environments.
* Experience working in the Life Sciences field or Pharmaceutical Industry strongly preferred
* 1-3+ years of experience supporting/developing informatics systems in machine learning, medical or basic science research environments a plus.
* Windows Server administration a plus
* Comfortable working in a dynamic environment and developing flexible solutions to meet evolving requirements
* Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly
* Ability to work independently and demonstrate excellent project management skills with a strong demonstration of commitment to customer service
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills: demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with scientists, developers, application analysts, managers and IT
* Good presentation, training and documentation skills are essential
* Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
* AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
* Significant Work Activities and Conditions: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
* Travel: No
* Job Type: Experienced
* Schedule: Full-time
AbbVie is a pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and markets both biopharmaceuticals and small molecule drugs.