Database Administrator | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the movement to transform an industry.
Acorns is seeking a Database Administrator to be part of our Technical Operations team. We use Postgres on Amazon's RDS, as well as a number of NoSQL technologies such as Redis and DynamoDB and are looking for a well-rounded engineer to swoop in and help us take the performance and reliability of our data infrastructure to the next level.
Within 1 month, you will:
* Introduce yourself and become integrated with the Acorns team
* Understand the high-level architecture, our applications, and nature of our workloads
* Familiarize yourself with our monitoring systems and find and fix gaps in our alerting
Within 6 months, you will:
* Perform database installations, configurations upgrades, and migrations
* Suggest and implement configuration and architectural changes to optimize the performance and reliability of our Postgres systems
* Assist in troubleshooting and restoring service during production incidents
* Establish and evangelize database best practices for developers
* Perform reviews of schemas, stored procedures, and other changes to our database DDL
Within 12 months, you will:
* Define and document a roadmap to scale our data infrastructure to meet our growing business demands
* Participate in an architectural review process as the authority on best practices for our data systems
* Develop, manage, and test database backup & recovery strategies, verifying data integrity
* Keep a pulse on emerging data technologies to ensure we're always using the right tool for the job, prototyping and creating proof-of-concepts as needed
What you will bring to Acorns:
* 5+ years of Postgres database administration in a Linux environment
* Expert knowledge of PL/PgSQL, triggers, and stored procedure development and optimization
* Hands-on experience with database backup and recovery, performance tuning, and high-availability solutions
* Familiarity with containerization and microservice architectures
* Amazon Web Services experience, particularly RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB, and Aurora.
* A knack for writing stuff down. We heart great docs.
* Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
* Passion for the Acorns mission
What we offer:
* Competitive salary and stock options
* A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
* Unlimited paid time off
* Corporate gym access
* Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
* Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
* Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
* The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is a finance company that allows individuals to round up purchases and automatically invest the change.