As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement:
Partners Healthcare Systems' (PHS) Division of Research IS & Computing, Enterprise Research Infrastructure and Services (ERIS http://rc.partners.org is seeking a Data Science Application Specialist. This position works within multi-disciplinary teams that build data processing pipelines, computational based analytics jobs and web-based reporting tools. Using your knowledge of distributed computing systems and software development, you will specialize in data analytics tools and data science methods to facilitate healthcare research. Primarily this roll will support researchers to develop pipelines on the Partners Data Enclave providing all users with both implementation and consultation aspects. This roll could be extended to support users across multiple projects and platforms within ERIS computational services.
We are seeking someone with the proven ability to help teams and projects successfully accomplish their technology objectives. Key characteristics are an eagerness to learn and apply new technologies, versatility and breadth in technical skills, and communication and customer service skills. Candidates are not expected to be deeply knowledgeable in all areas but must demonstrate the ability and desire to learn and to support a large and diverse environment in its use of technology. Ideal candidates thrive on variety and innovation in their daily work, on interaction with customers who are world-renowned leaders in their scientific field, and on working with a wide range of technologies in a decentralized non-standard environment (academic).
ERIS enables and supports the highly successful and innovative research programs of the largest teaching hospitals in the nation--Massachusetts General (MGH), Brigham and Women's (BWH), McLean and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospitals--with their more than 3200 grant-sponsored programs in the biomedical sciences, from basic to clinical and applied research
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Participate in a multi-disciplinary team to design and build next generation analytics and collaboration platform solutions for research and clinical departments across the Partners Healthcare System.
* Serve as an internal consultant who can bridge the technology (HPC, Big Data tools and other systems) with scientific groups.
* Work closely with research clinicians and researchers to implement their advanced processing pipelines on the Data Enclave and other ERIS computational platforms.
* Understand performance characteristics of underlying server, network and storage hardware.
* Audit systems and processes for compliance with security and data integrity requirements.
* Provide expertise in data management, analytics and optimum data structuring for large or diverse datasets using a Data Science approach.
* Support Technical Customers: Together with the Scientific Computing team that includes scientific applications support specialist, provide support and consulting to scientific researchers who use a broad spectrum of applications from diverse fields (genetics, epidemiology, drug development, natural language processing, and high-resolution imaging).
* Analyze and resolve customer and technical problems: Troubleshoot analytical problems when issues arise. Proposes, maintains and enforces polices, practices and security procedures.
* Create and close tasks within the service tracking tool using established standards
* Develop and maintain system documentation as well as training and reference materials for the community using knowledge management tools.
* Perform other duties as required by the situation and circumstances
* BA/BS/engineering degree required or equivalent combination of skills/experience. Advanced degree in a computational science or analytical discipline preferred.
* 6 years minimum experience in working with systems or programming environments in Linux environments for scientific computing. Linux Administration experience not required.
* 6 years of active experience in the full programming lifecycle with related open-source software platforms and languages (at least one of: Java, Python, Ruby, Scala).
* Minimum 3 years' experience working beyond the college level in a related position.
* Experience installing and debugging Linux applications for science and healthcare research usage.
* Demonstrated written communication skills and interpersonal skills required.
* Ability to deeply understand application functionality and technical documentation required.
* Highly desired:
o Experience with machine learning and/or other data science technologies.
o Experience with statistical methods and analytical tools (R, Matlab or domain-specific tools)
* Must be capable of contributing within a multi-disciplinary team, exhibit a high level of initiative, and have an eagerness to learn new technologies.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstration of a professional and collaborative demeanor
* Experience with Python environments customization.
* Experience with containerization docker/singularity tools highly desirable.
* Demonstrated abilities in self-organization, self-motivation and collaboration.
* Candidate must possess advanced knowledge and understanding of Linux.
* Experience in a research & development environment or agile, rapid support environment desirable
* Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements, keeping team and management informed.
* Regular office environment. Primary location is Sommerville, MA.
* May travel to various PHS hospitals locations
* As projects and priorities dictate, flexible work and off-hours are required including evening, night and weekend hours to cover events, roll-outs and special projects
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.