In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Riot's Data Discipline builds tools to understand Riot and Player data, which may be used to delight our global audience or to inform the business for strategic decisions that drive player value. Whether you are a Data Scientist casting a neural net, a Data Engineer building a hundred node parallelized data pipeline, or a Data Architect designing data products that are more efficient and dependable, we need you. We use cutting-edge data processing technology and have access to the latest cloud services available, but handling the potential of all this data is a tremendous and complex task. That's where you come in.
Data Engineers at Riot have a rare mix of software, infrastructure, and analytical skills required to design and build data systems that help inform business decisions and drive player experiences. You index high on software development, dimensional modeling of relational data, and operating data systems at player scale. You have the ability to translate business requirements into sustainable architectures and data processing workflows. In this role, your systems are just as likely to serve other Rioters as to power player facing features. This requires us to be excellent communicators to other engineers, data scientists, game designers, and product owners across the org.
As part of our R&D team, your expertise will help us build end-to-end data pipelines. We need your gaming and business knowledge to inform our data models, your streaming experience for low latency ingest and processing, your data definition and manipulation skills for creating efficient and interpretable data assets, and your data ops chops to put all of the above into production. We work in a high volume environment, so your experience choosing the right data storage and processing technologies for each application will be key. In addition to these duties, we will also rely on you to partner with our Data Scientists to deliver new player experiences by putting machine learning models into production.
* Define, automate and maintain batch pipelines that collect and process data to improve the player experience, drive game understanding, and report business metrics.
* Design and build tools that provide confidence in our data quality-- from data QA processes for publishing new events, to systems for automatic detection of unexpected changes in our data's volume and distributional properties.
* Partner with software engineers to build data driven feedback loops into our game server, client, and backend services by defining data models and contributing to telemetry implementations.
* Work with data customers (product owners, game designers, analysts, and data scientists) to identify critical questions and then deliver the services, datasets, and tools that empower them to find the answers.
* Help other developers select data technologies and platforms that provide efficient insights with a high return on investment.
* Support the integration of machine learning and artificial intelligence into designer tools and game features by helping data scientists develop pipelines and services around their models.
* Be the face of data best-practices to other developers around the product by advocating for data considerations early in the product life cycle and educating teammates on how to get the most out of our ecosystem.
* Mentor and coach junior data engineers and collaborate effectively with other technologists to increase the Data Discipline's capabilities and influence across the product.
* SQL and Python
* Scala, Java, C++, or GoLang
* Developer tools: distributed version control, IDEs, notebooks, REST APIs, and command line interfaces.
* Collaborative development practices: task definition and estimation, team work systems, code reviews, pair programming, knowledge shares, and runbook creation
* Experience tuning relational and/or NoSQL databases for production workloads
* Several years using Apache big data stack (Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, etc)
* Dimensional modeling for data warehousing
* Software engineering best practices (CI/CD, testing, automation)
* Container technology for managing data workflows and services
* Data development and operations on at least one cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
About Riot Games
Riot Games is a global company that develops online games.