The IS Compliance Engineer is a key member of IS Security Compliance team reporting to the Manager of IS Security Compliance. This position will be focused on all aspects of security risk management and data with a particular emphasis on California Privacy Law, PCI, HIPAA, PII (domestic & international), SOX , GDPR and other industry or regulatory compliance that impact the Costco Wholesale IS infrastructure. In addition, the role will be responsible for working with all groups within Costco Wholesale globally to ensure overall security policy framework including associated frameworks, reporting and status of compliance.
The Compliance Engineer will work very closely with the IS Security and other IS leadership and management team members to build and maintain a strong security, risk and compliance program. The role requires a mix of broad, business and technical acumen with strong people-management skills, and the ability to inspire and influence decisions around security risk management with the business. As such, the position works closely with key global business units such as IS, Legal, Audit, Regional Managers and Senior Management, requiring the ability to balance business needs and security risks.
The role will be responsible to determine and establish the approach by which IS will manage and govern risk and compliance. This includes creating, institutionalizing and rolling out an Integrated Controls framework that addresses the multitude of regulatory requirements with internal stakeholders for reporting on progress versus objectives on a regular basis which includes the design, collation, review, analysis, distribution and communication of the framework.
Along with the IS Security Compliance Manager and Department, the candidate will be a key point of contact for senior executive management and will be available to report at senior executive level on matters within their purview; particularly compliance, data security, risk management and overall security governance.
Job Duties/Essential Functions
* Serves as a subject matter expert for governance and compliance frameworks for IS and business process regulations / compliance within IS Security GRC. * Stakeholder in the execution of risk management, information security, and data compliance corporate initiatives across all the business units globally. * Promotes and supports a culture of compliance, risk avoidance/mitigation and corporate accountability throughout the organization. * Develops required corrective action plans relating to data compliance issues. * Manages the business relationships with the internal and external auditors/assessors. * Researches and evaluates new compliance requirements and works with other stakeholders and owner to insure they are incorporated into the security policy framework, standards, and procedures. * Defines and implements a risk-based approach to identifying, monitoring, measuring and reporting various types of security risk and compliance issues in regards to financial reporting. * Identifies and prioritizes risk management, information security, and compliance risks and recommend mitigating controls. * Works with counterparts across Costco Wholesale to insure the development and communication of policies, procedures, and plans to internal stakeholders regarding security and risk management best practices and applicable laws and regulations. * Evaluates security and risk assessments of internal business units and external vendors and service providers. * Provides governance for the identification, validation and remediation of information technology controls required by Sarbanes-Oxley, Payment Cardholder Information Data Security Standards (PCI DSS), Personally Identifiable Information (PII), HIPAA, California Privacy Law and other regulatory compliance frameworks. Ensure successful audits of these compliance programs. * Must be able to translate PCI DSS best practices, GIS compliance recommendations and international regulation requirements to protect international technology assets (cardholder data (CHD) and all CHD assets including people access). * May support line of business on self-assessments, third party QSA lead PCI Assessment as well as GIS lead PCI Assessments impacting the Domestic US and International regions. * Will assist in the analysis of Compliance readiness assessment findings for California Privacy Law and will lead the identification of ownership, remediation planning and validation. * Will participate in lines of business and enterprise control functions compliance strategic planning. * Regular and reliable workplace attendance at you assigned location.
* Assists in other areas of the department as necessary. * Assists in other areas of the company as necessary.
Ability to operate vehicles, equipment or machinery
* Past or current certifications in one of following areas: ISA, QSA. * Deep understanding in all aspects of risk management, data compliance, information security strategy, technologies and tools. * Over 5 years of proven experience developing and executing global security risk management and compliance programs. * Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to work effectively at executive levels. * Excellent conceptual and critical thinking skills and sound judgment, with strategic orientation and ability to perform tactically, as required. * Experience in providing technical expertise appropriate to knowledge of risk and cost effective delivery of essential security services. * Solid understanding of IT systems, applications, networks, and databases. * Proven experience developing and submitting audit and compliance reports to governing bodies, legal entities, and/or external authorities. * Solid understanding of assessing and designing internal controls in an enterprise-level environment. * Direct experience and knowledge of applicable local and federal information technology laws. * Solid knowledge and understanding of security controls across all security domains such as access management, encryption methods, vulnerability management, network security, etc. * Strong knowledge of risk management practices and security governance programs. * Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) are a must.
* Certifications in one or more of the following areas preferred: CIPP, CISSP, CISA, and CISM. * Architectural level experience in information security, data compliance, and risk management. * Proven people management experience - worked with a variety of teams globally. * Experience in planning, organizing, and developing information technology policies, procedures, and practices. * Ability to propose creative solutions to successfully remediate identified compliance issues. * Successful internal candidates will have spent one year or more on their current team.
* Management will review the Job Analysis for this position prior to a job offer.
To Apply: Use the link below to upload all required documents to
Apart from any religious or disability considerations, open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas.