Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking for top engineers to help build the next generation of data analytics and software solutions within the big data technology stack. As a big data ETL developer you will work collaboratively on Agile Scrum teams, interacting with multiple technology and business areas to design, develop, and deliver next generation analytics platforms and applications. You will create detailed technical specifications, develop application and system code, participate in code reviews and module testing, and support ongoing maintenance. Additional responsibilities include strategy and design of complex projects, support of project planning, and peer mentoring. Effective written and verbal communication is important as you will be interfacing with many different areas including business clients, technology, architecture, and infrastructure services.
* Responsible for design, prototyping, and delivery of software solutions within a big data eco-system.
* Responsible for technical ecosystem (software, interfaces, integration) and strategic roadmaps.
* Responsible for performance tuning and scalability improvements of distributed applications.
* Researching and evaluation of new tools and technologies to solve business problems.
* Responsible for designing and building big data systems for analyzing data into actionable insights.
* Responsible for development of advanced analytics solutions and integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.
* Translate business concepts to technical implementations to drive alignment and decision making.
* Work collaboratively on a geographically dispersed team embracing Agile and DevOps principles.
* Participate in strategic planning discussions with technical and non-technical partners.
* Effective and efficient utilization of programming tools and techniques.
* Mentors others and embrace continuous personal development.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
* 4+ years Big Data experience with hands on coding and development experience in an object-oriented programing language; preference for Java, Scala and Python.
* Solid working understanding of big data ETL solutions.
* Big Data experience with Cloudera/Hortonworks, and/or EMR
* Solid development experience with Spark.
* Experience with source control solutions (ex git, GitHub, Jenkins, Artifactory).
* Familiarity, and comfort with, participating in a high-performing geographically dispersed team.
* Open to new ideas and technologies with a strong desire to learn.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems in a creative and innovative fashion.
* Demonstrated experience with sound technical design and documentation.
* Experience with Agile development methodologies and tools that enable a team to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories, and working through backlog.
* Ability to research and document project design, approach and architecture.
* Ability to engage subject matter experts and translate business goals into actionable solutions.
* Ability to work effectively with business and technical teams.
* Ability to identify and drive aligned technical direction with all stakeholders.
* Ability to meet deadlines, goals and objectives.
* Proven track record of working collaboratively in a complex matrixed organization.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Insurance industry experience.
* Experience with streaming toolsets such as Kafka, Flink, Spark Streaming, and/or Nifi/StreamSets.
* Experience developing large-scale distributed applications.
* Hands-on experience developing in, and integrating with, open source software platforms and languages.
* Knowledge and experience in the following are highly desirable:
* RESTFUL Web-services
* Spring Framework
* MS Teams
Allstate is a company operating as a personal lines property and casualty insurer.