The Platform Team
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth - all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Payments is key for any healthy marketplace, and is just as central to our product at Airbnb. The Payments team at Airbnb provides the financial engine to facilitate payments for all products on Airbnb. We're a fast-growing team that has a 50+ billion dollar global footprint: We have as much volume as Venmo, 3x more currencies than PayPal, and 7x more countries supported than Stripe.
If you were to join, you'll have the opportunity to build out our Payments Platform that touches all the main lines of the Airbnb's businesses, from our core Homes business to our newer Experiences and Plus businesses. We're responsible for the whole stack from infrastructural work that comes with scaling a global payments company, to core services processing payments, to building out the payments experiences the user sees. You'll have the opportunity to work on very technically challenging work, as you balance moving fast with the robustness and quality that working on payments demands.
We're looking for talented engineers who are interested in building our Payments Platform that provides for our existing and future businesses. We're open to experienced Payments engineers as well as engineers who don't have experience but are interested in learning more. Come join us if you want to be challenged and learn the business and skills that working on payments offers!
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What is a Backend Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
A backend engineer on Payments has the opportunity to build one of the largest payments and commerce platforms to power all Airbnb products as well as 3rd party products through partnership and acquisition. The backend services include the full billing and payment life cycle, including checkout, order management, price quote, payments instrument management, payments gateway, payments routing, stored value and so on at 24x7 with 99.99% reliability. We continually integrate with new payments partners to expand our global footprints around the world, launching new services to support new business needs, and building rich data pipelines to power financial reporting, data science, risk, and online systems to provide business insights and drive business values. We build infrastructure to make sure that we are always driving towards availability, scalability, and performance.
Some Upcoming Projects:
* We are building new generation of payments and commerce platform in a service oriented architecture to support growth of existing businesses as well as new businesses. You will have the opportunity to shape the future of one of the largest online commerce and payment infrastructure in the world. The new system architecture and data model is designed as a fully generic and extensible platform to power all types of businesses innovations.
* As Airbnb business grows, more and more businesses need to integrate with payments platform or enhance existing features for money movement, incentive program, flexible and dynamic price structure. We are building standardized APIs and self-serve platform for engineers and products from different businesses to integrate with payments with minimal efforts so that new innovations will have faster time to production.
* Our mission is to build a platform to ensure we have the ability to accept, hold, track, payout, and reconcile payments in all currencies and countries where Airbnb is available, while unlocking new financial services on the platform. To accomplish this, we're continually integrating with payments partnerships in multiple payment methods around the world, launching new services to support new products and features, providing tools and frameworks to the rest of the Payments team, and building rich data pipelines to power financial reporting, data science, risk, and others.
* In order to maintain a good user experience, to ensure consistency through the asynchronous payment cycle, we build tools to accurately measure and track a transaction's end to end state and contents in real time. You can find how Airbnb is measuring transactional integrity.
* Engineers in Airbnb payments always strive to maximize the quality and efficiency of service development. We are building dev environments and CI tools to improve development and deployment velocity.
* 2+ years industry experience
* Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
* Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, scalable and reliable services, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
* Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter subsidies
* Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
* Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Airbnb is a company that provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.