What is Homes at Airbnb?
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb's core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you can have significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users, whether you are working on one of our big bets such as guest loyalty or personalization, improving our tools for guests and hosts around the world, or working on a new business such as Airbnb for Work or Airbnb Plus. In Seattle, Homes is working on building a platform for other Homes teams to be able to execute quickly on varied market segments. While most people think of a platform as a backend API, we need to build products, components and flows that can be integrated and extended for many host and guest use cases. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, and want to work with a small team designed to maximize your ability to deliver results, Homes is a great place to launch your Airbnb career.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Frontend at Airbnb?
Frontend Engineers are an essential part of Airbnb's Product Team. FEs work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We rely and build on modern tooling such as Apollo/GraphQL and React, and deliver a strongly-typed UI using TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier such as Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to a cheap phone with a shaky 3G connection.
Airbnb is always looking for new ways to improve product performance and developer efficiency. Here are some of our latest efforts to ship great UIs products quickly:
* Airbnb Page Builder (aka Magic Doorway): Create, ship and update high performance, responsive, fully localized pages completely through a page builder UI without spending time on boilerplate code or procrastinating on shipping minor content changes when you or your content/design/PM teammates can update pages on the fly. We're continuing to improvement the builder and component library so you'll always stay up to date with the latest designs, get user metrics out of the box, easily ship A:B tests, and more such as speed improvements to bring load times as close to zero as possible.
* Hyperloop: Our new server-side rendering engine, Hyperloop, is rolling out. This is an opportunity to build greenfield apps on the frontend that complement our emerging SOA strategy on the backend. This means working with some of the best designers in the world, feeling totally unconstrained by tooling, building world class products.
* See our recent Tech Talk and the blog post more details.
* Building for High Performance: Homes is leading the way at Airbnb, building a modern Frontend with portfolio of page load techniques, including service worker, the new "Arrive" framework (server-side rendering of React without loading React on the client), client routing with innovative lazy loading strategies. We are right at the point where we have the core infrastructure in place but haven't solved the tricky and interesting product side of the coin.
What You'll Do
* Drive the future of Frontend products in the industry and contribute to a world class user experience across all of Airbnb's products
* Collaborate with Product Managers and Experience Designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
* Work with Data Scientists and Backend Engineers to build features and ship experiments
* Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
* Find and address performance issues
* Conduct design and code reviews
* Identify areas of improvement and advocate for front-end best practices
What You'll Need
* 3+ years industry experience
* Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues
* Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
* Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
* Bachelor's and/or Master's degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
Bonus Points For
* Experience in client-side performance tuning
* Experience in mobile web and/or native mobile development
* Rearchitecting Airbnb's Frontend
* TechTalk: GraphQL and Appollo at Airbnb
* Operationalizing Node.js for Server Side Rendering
* Reconciling GraphQL and Thrift at Airbnb
* Moving Airbnb Search to React
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness Discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter Subsidies
* Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Much more…
Offices: Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Airbnb is a company that provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.