Job Application for Backend Engineer at Panjiva
Apply Now Backend Engineer at Panjiva (View all jobs)
Work with a small elite team in a $15 trillion industry
At Panjiva we've built the premier platform for working with global trade data. Our clients include manufacturers, retailers, logistics, legal, and financial companies hailing from over 100 countries. They use Panjiva to gather insights into global trade trends, find new suppliers and customers, monitor supply chain relationships, optimize logistics networks, and much more. Panjiva's award-winning and patented technology leverages machine learning to provide powerful search, analysis and visualization tools over more than a billion shipping records and 100 million indexed web pages. The Panjiva platform handles millions of requests a day from users all over the world.
Join our engineering team as we revolutionize a key and fascinating part of the world economy!
Solve important and challenging problems
As a data engineer on our team, you will play a key role in developing our next- generation data mining and search platform for global trade data. You'll design and implement abstractions, data schemas, and APIs while working closely with our product engineers, product designers, and data scientists on new Panjiva products. You'll help scale our data infrastructure to seamlessly integrate an order-of-magnitude-more data sources by building systems to automate and optimize large scale distributed computing jobs. Your solutions will leverage distributed computing technologies to enable machine learning and NLP algorithms to be run on large scale data. As a data engineer at Panjiva, you will work with Panjiva's world-class data scientists, product designers, and engineers to create products that solve important real-world business problems in a collaborative, fast-paced, and fun startup environment.
Join us in building the next generation of products as we continue to deliver valuable and actionable insights to decision makers in the $15 trillion global trade industry.
At Panjiva, you'll work on:
* Building and managing highly reliable distributed data pipelines with high throughput
* Working with our data scientists to turn large scale messy and diverse unstructured data into structured, normalized data
* Maintaining data integrity across various data sources
* Optimizing slow running database queries and data pipelines
* Helping enhance our search engine, capable of running sophisticated user queries quickly and efficiently
* Building internal tools and backend services to enable our data scientists and product engineers to improve efficiency
* BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
* 3+ years of experience in working with large scale data in a production environment
* Significant performance engineering experience (e.g., profiling slow code, understanding complicated query plans, etc.)
* Experience with monitoring and profiling tools such as Nagios, perf, htop, etc.
* Advanced database skills
* Deep knowledge of at least one dynamic programming language (Python, Ruby)
* Experience with scripting languages (Bash, Python, Ruby)
* Experience developing software on Linux-based OSes
* Experience with distributed version control systems
* Statistics knowledge
* Familiarity with column store databases
* Familiarity with database internals, especially PostgreSQL
* Familiarity with large-scale, distributed data processing systems, such as MapReduce pipelines, Mesos, Spark, etc.
* Contributions to open-source software
* Startup experience
Perks and Benefits
* Competitive salary
* Build or buy your dream computer
* Harvard Square office 1 minute walk from the Red Line T stop
* 4 weeks vacation (rising to 5 weeks with longer tenure), 2 floating holidays / personal days, and 10-12 paid holidays annually, with unlimited sick leave
* Weekly tech talks
* Catered lunches
* Health, dental, and vision insurance as well as many other benefits
* 401(k) plan, with company matching
* Regular company hackathons (3-to-4 times a year)
* Hacker Continuing Education Wednesdays i.e., craft beer tasting, ping pong lessons
* Work with a talented, focused, driven team in a growing company with opportunity for advancement and career development
Panjiva's technology creates insight from messy global trade data to provide powerful search, analysis, and visualizations of more than a billion shipping records from nearly every country in the world. More than 3,000 customers in over 100 countries, ranging from Fortune 500 companies and startups to government agencies and hedge funds, rely on our platform for supply chain intelligence. In global trade, better insight means better decision making and stronger connections between companies and governments across the globe.
Recognizing Panjiva's cutting-edge technology, S&P Global's Market Intelligence division acquired Panjiva in 2018. This acquisition has grown our resources, dramatically expanded our access to data, and accelerated our growth plans. Join our team as we revolutionize a key and fascinating part of the world economy!
NOTE: Panjiva is an EOAA. Panjiva takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or physical or mental disabilities.
Panjiva is an information platform for global trade professionals, providing a marketplace for international buyers and sellers to connect.