At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
At ATG, Research scientists create the next generation of artificial intelligence algorithms to help Uber improve the lives of millions of people worldwide. You will collaborate and exchange research ideas with our current team, which includes world-renowned scientists specializing in deep learning, computer vision, and self-driving. You will also interact with the international research community by publishing research papers and attend conferences. We value original, high-impact ideas and rigorous experimental validation. Both senior and junior scientists are welcome to apply.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Design, implement, train, and optimize novel algorithms that run at extremely low-latency on self-driving Uber vehicles and various production systems
* Utilize large datasets of of various sources, including raw sensor data such as Lidar, using large GPU compute clusters
* Collaborate cross-functionally with research and engineering teams at Uber and communicate your work to colleagues and management
* Write patents and submit publications to top machine learning, computer vision, and robotics conferences
What You'll Need
* A degree in a machine learning related discipline -- positions are available at the PhD, MS, and BS levels
* A very strong quantitative background
* Excellent software development skills in C/C++ and/or Python
* Knowledge of machine learning commensurate with education/experience level and a strong publication record as relevant to education level
* Excellent presentation and communication skills
* Machine learning areas of special interests include: CNNs, RNNs, distributed GPU computing, detection, prediction, motion planning, mapping and localization
About the Team
At ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
We are a group of diverse researchers, engineers, and computer scientists working to develop perception algorithms for self-driving vehicles. Reliability and scalability are key drivers for us as our software must perform across a large fleet of vehicles in large and diverse operating areas.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.