At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
We are looking for a Data Scienctists to join the matching team in Uber HQ. This team is at the heart of Uber and it's systems and algorithms are involved in every trip that is taken on Uber's network. Algorithm design, machine learning, economics and analytics are at the core of what we do. We are looking for strong data and research scientists to help build the next generation of matching systems at Uber.
You'll be working closely with software engineers and product managers to create and execute the direction of the product development. This includes crafting a machine learning or data science solution to achieve a business goal, guiding the team's direction through data-driven insights and algorithmic thinking, and providing team members with feedback on their work.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Provide analysis using mathematical modeling tools to improve business processes and decisions.
* Define creative solutions to business problems using advanced mathematical algorithms.
* Partner closely with engineering, operations, business, and infrastructure groups.
* Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to decision systems and operational processes.
What You'll Need
* M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Economics, or other quantitative discipline strongly preferred.
* Machine learning/statistical modeling, data analytics and experimentation skills.
* Ability to drive clarity on the best modeling or analytic solution for a business objective.
* Experience driving research and development.
* Experience communicating with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
* Ability to develop statistical analysis and machine learning software in a language like Python or Java.
* Optimistic and charismatic. The candidate should be comfortable with and willing to collaborate with both individual contributor and managers across the company.
About the Team
The Matching team, within the broader Marketplace group, builds and optimizes matching algorithms and new matching paradigms across Uber. Our goal is increasing efficiency, lowering ETAs & prices across all of Uber's marketplaces. We power UberX, our core personal transit business by evolving our rider/driver matching algorithms from locally greedy to globally optimal. We optimize UberPOOL by focusing on areas like rider/rider matching, time/cost tradeoffs, and the impact of walking and waiting on price and efficiency.
You may have learned about NP-hard problems like the traveling salesman problem, the vehicle routing problem, and the Knapsack problem - how would you like to solve even harder versions of these problems at scale, in realtime? And we're not just talking about designing algorithms - you will also be building products that use these algorithms to deliver new experiences to riders and drivers around the world.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.